• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NHS For all - if you don't smoke and are not fat!"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Because by definition you pay a tax because you're due to pay, end of story; not because of hope of return. Tax isn't a 2-way street.
    the unquestioning acquiescence to paying money out beggars belief.

Interesting article by Tom Uttley in todays Telegraph with regards to getting students to sign contracts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...ixopinion.html

There will come a time when tax like everything else has to relate to the quality of provision of services that are received in return.
    Let us face it there is little responsibility taken for the delivery of public services. They dont even have to provide proper sets of accounts.

Leave a comment:

• benn0
    replied
    I suspect that if your beloved mags had suggested such changes, your reaction would have been somewhat different.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Only a feather if you tell us what grading number you have...

You do have a grading number? Or are you just an oik...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Really W?

In what capacity ?
    Contractor, in Reading.

Quite a feather in my cap, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    And just why are we "due to pay" then expat? The only rationale for taxation is that we cannot expect to receive certain things from the state unless we are prepared to chip in financially for those things. Its a tad unfair to expect people to chip in on that basis then to deny them the very thing they have contributed towards on a technicality. Well at least it is on our planet, do they view things differently in that parallel dimension of yours? And is there still no tax on tree-hugging in expatonia?
    I pay tax in order to avoid being locked up in a small cell with a large man.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Excellent point Tony. When you add up the duty on 20 fags a day, smokers pay £1400 extra in tax per year. Assuming they smoke for 30 years before they start needing significant treatment, I reckon they have paid for it.

BTW I'm working for Bill Gates now.
    Really W?

In what capacity ?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Because by definition you pay a tax because you're due to pay, end of story; not because of hope of return. Tax isn't a 2-way street.
    And just why are we "due to pay" then expat? The only rationale for taxation is that we cannot expect to receive certain things from the state unless we are prepared to chip in financially for those things. Its a tad unfair to expect people to chip in on that basis then to deny them the very thing they have contributed towards on a technicality. Well at least it is on our planet, do they view things differently in that parallel dimension of yours? And is there still no tax on tree-hugging in expatonia?

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    [QUOTE=Lucifer Box]Also, smokers do the state a favour by dying younger QUOTE]
    That would mean less people to to contribute to state employees pensions funds, not that wouldn't do

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    So can an overweight smoking binge drinker withold their taxes? Why should they pay into something which he/she is going to be barred from using?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Also, smokers do the state a favour by dying younger - no pensions or old age care needed. I did read as a factoid in the late 90s that the tax raised from tobacco and booze was enough to pay for the entire NHS budget.

The 225 doctors polled said the NHS realistically could not treat everyone.
    Now that is truly alarming. Should, realistically, I expect a tax rebate then?

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Roll up roll up solicitors around the country - rich pickings indeed at the expense of the NHS. The NHS would end up being sued left, right and centre for deliberately and maliciously witholding treatment from tax payers who do not fit the NHS' view of ideal patients.

And if this Gov't thinks of legislating to allow this I think they would find it infinitely more easy to get their education bill through Parliament than they would this sort of vicious legislation.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Excellent point Tony. When you add up the duty on 20 fags a day, smokers pay £1400 extra in tax per year. Assuming they smoke for 30 years before they start needing significant treatment, I reckon they have paid for it.

Shhhhh.... we are in the era of new intollerance where only the super-fit, super-clever can survive. By 2020 the mininum height for an adult is 6' and the maximum weigth is 180lbs. Everybody with miopia will be sent into caves and everybody who has less than 200 IQ points will be executed before they become 18 years old...... women must at least have a 36DD cup or else they will be forced to have a transplant. Genetic software will let you have the flexibility of choosing a few options like the hair color (light brown or dark for men, and blonde or platinum for females). Everybody over 40 will be shipped to Mars.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    So can an overweight smoking binge drinker withold their taxes? Why should they pay into something which he/she is going to be barred from using?

Also, how much does the govt get from taxing cigs & alcohol?

Leave a comment:

• bfg
    replied
    Obese 'can be refused operations'

Enough per pack that at 20 a day smoker of 45 years age could easily pay for the top BUPA cover (HC01) from the tax on their fags alone.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    [...]

And rubbish food too.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X