• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Islamic Juggernaut Marches On..."

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Im just copying and pasting blocks of text into fields, see if the come back from the DB in one piece, they don't.
    Make sure you DB code page is the same as the one on your PC.

CBA with another Halal debate.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Anyway, since when have juggernauts 'marched'?
    And since when have they been Islamic?
    The word is derived from the Sanskrit जगन्नाथ Jagannātha (meaning "Lord of the Universe") which is one of the many names of Krishna

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    If your husband or wife has more than one wife or husband, only one will be allowed to join them in the UK.
    I think that is totally outrageous. They should be subject to the same amount of nagging here as they get in an Islamic country.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Out of interest how does the multiple wives thing work in the UK? I believe there is some limited recognition but cant be bothered to look it up. Say a muslim with multiple wives immigrates into the UK does he have to pick one as the "officail" wife and the rest are dependants or what.
    AFAIK only 1 wife is allowed, no other wives can be brought as dependants

*scurries off to check t'internet

Googling it seems to return mostly Mail, BNP, Jihadwatch links....

but from what I can make out; The UK recognises that a man in a Muslim country may be legally married to more than one woman. However only 1 wife is allowed to move to the UK as a spouse.
    There may be some "gaming" of the system by legally divorcing, though still co-habiting with, wife 1 to allow wife 2 to immigrate to the UK as a spouse. Repeat for wife 3, 4, 5...

and from the horses mouth:
    If your husband or wife has more than one wife or husband, only one will be allowed to join them in the UK.
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swivespartners
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 13 September 2010, 20:41.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It is all part of the inverted illogic that prevails, another popular favourite is calling it discrimination when a group (eg travellers and planning rules) are expected to conform to the same law as as everyone else.
    Or maybe companies want to cash in on the large Muslim population by selling food they will buy?

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    If British Airways food supplier only supplies halal food then what choice do you have?
    Why on earth should non believer be forced to eat religious foods?
    It's the same damn food. Stop being picky, if you don't eat it now you'll be having it for breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Yawn

you'll find that there are examples of things being allowed in Islam but not allowed in the UK. Multiple wives for one.
    Out of interest how does the multiple wives thing work in the UK? I believe there is some limited recognition but cant be bothered to look it up. Say a muslim with multiple wives immigrates into the UK does he have to pick one as the "officail" wife and the rest are dependants or what.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I hope Islam or Judaism don't start supporting bullfighting or foxhunting as then we won't be able to object to that either. It really is a most curious use of the word predudice when a practice cannot be challenged simply because of who is doing it.
    Yawn

you'll find that there are examples of things being allowed in Islam but not allowed in the UK. Multiple wives for one.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    I'm downloading a copy of the Koran at the moment, do you want me to burn you a copy?
    Post of the day

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    I'm downloading a copy of the Koran at the moment, do you want me to burn you a copy?
    Ooh - I almost choked on my blt

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Nnngh, I suppose it was inevitable that someone would come out with this gag

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think a lot of these middle eastern reilgious rules came about from the conditions they lived in, get the beast ready for eating right away, bury your dead ASAP don't touch pork because it goes off straight away (we cure ours mostly).

While the rules at the time were right they are out of place now and Christians got to dump all that stuff and move to Europe but every one accepts that the cutting of the throat is humane except us.

People who have a problem with Halal have a problem with Islam. I'm sure they are not going tonto when an Abbo does it to a Kangeroo on Ray Mears Walkabout.
    Last edited by minestrone; 13 September 2010, 15:21.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You wouldn't know the difference unless it got up on it's hind legs and said "Allah Hu Akbar"!
    Be cool if Emirates started serving these:

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    If British Airways food supplier only supplies halal food then what choice do you have?

One more reason to hope BA goes down the wudu as soon as possible!
    You wouldn't know the difference unless it got up on it's hind legs and said "Allah Hu Akbar"!

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You really do sound like a rambling, illogical, old codger sometimes.
    Who is objecting to you challenging kosher or halal practices?
    I don't have the feeling that halal is being shoved down my throat, so to speak, else I'd definitely challenge that too.
    As an atheist I think all these traditional religious practices are simply silly, but we live in a country where freedom of belief is enshrined in law.
    As for animal rights, as someone noted, you're not objecting to battery farming which arguably causes more distress over a longer period of time.
    You ought to learn to distinguish between propaganda and reality - thats why most of us despise the Wail.

One more reason to hope BA goes down the wudu as soon as possible!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X