• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear: Four million households where no adults work"

Collapse

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    A young pal of mine in the US is going to lose his job at the end of September. He is in IT and all he is doing at the moment is keeping the lights on for the liquidators. All the rest of the company have gone ages ago.

He was telling me the other day that he is passing bricks when he goes to the bog. His former workmates are having a hell of a time. He cited something he had read (I don’t know the source otherwise I’d link to it) where someone had said that being out of work and applying for jobs is like being a paedophile – nobody will consider them. It’s the ‘we need someone who can hit the ground running’ syndrome.

In the UK, to sell the cutbacks in social security to the sheepel the government has been spouting loads of stuff about the sick being malingerers and the unemployed are lazy. What has passed over the heads of the government is that what they are doing is making it even harder for anyone who is unemployed to get work. It makes it impossible for anyone who has been sick or unemployed for a long period to get work. Employers are people too and they read and hear the same propaganda and are influenced by it.

The government needs to STFU and do things that are practical for those looking for work. Yes, that includes shutting off the external supply of workers too. The likelihood of them actually doing it: zero.
    Top quote.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Brown used to advocate people going into 'careers in politics'

totally agree, politics should be made up of time served people from industry

not rubbish who have 'climbed the ranks' of local government and then moved into regional politics
    Why do my thoughts turn to Thatcher?

Think about it. Her father was a grocer and an alderman too and took her to all the local government political do's. If you've ever been to a meeting with councillors participating you will probably not have a very high opinion of them. They really can be quite snobbish and are always very self important.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Brown used to advocate people going into 'careers in politics'

totally agree, politics should be made up of time served people from industry

not rubbish who have 'climbed the ranks' of local government and then moved into
    regional politics

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    In the UK, to sell the cutbacks in social security to the sheepel the government has been spouting loads of stuff about the sick being malingerers and the unemployed are lazy. What has passed over the heads of the government is that what they are doing is making it even harder for anyone who is unemployed to get work.
    The government needs to STFU and do things that are practical for those looking for work. Yes, that includes shutting off the external supply of workers too. The likelihood of them actually doing it: zero.
    This government, like every other, is mostly run by people who have no experience of the world of work. Hence they don't know squat about what they're doing. It is ironic, though, that people who have never had a real job can spout about people who don't have a job.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

He was telling me the other day that he is passing bricks when he goes to the bog. His former workmates are having a hell of a time. He cited something he had read (I don’t know the source otherwise I’d link to it) where someone had said that being out of work and applying for jobs is like being a paedophile – nobody will consider them. It’s the ‘we need someone who can hit the ground running’ syndrome.

Bit melodramatic. Bet Gary Glitter is thinking that being out of work is the least of his problems.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    BOllocks, I take 6 months off nearly every year and have never ever had a problem explaining that to my next prospective clientCo.

There is a reason why pepole are long term unemployed and that is because nobody would look at them when they were short term unemployed.

To say they are only unemployed because they are long term unemployed is complete tulipe.

They are useless.

Skills are always in demand.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    A young pal of mine in the US is going to lose his job at the end of September. He is in IT and all he is doing at the moment is keeping the lights on for the liquidators. All the rest of the company have gone ages ago.

In the UK, to sell the cutbacks in social security to the sheepel the government has been spouting loads of stuff about the sick being malingerers and the unemployed are lazy. What has passed over the heads of the government is that what they are doing is making it even harder for anyone who is unemployed to get work. It makes it impossible for anyone who has been sick or unemployed for a long period to get work. Employers are people too and they read and hear the same propaganda and are influenced by it.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I am sure clientCo will be happy to take on some chav that has not worked in 12 months.
    Didn't know you were benched that long!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    No of course they wouldn't. But public sector, why not. Clean the litter, meals on wheels, paint the roads, gardening. There is no excuse.

Victorians probably had it right with work houses :-]
    Not sure that would work mate. Sticking all the spongers, sick, weak and unemployed into Victorian Workhouses would leave Yorkshire empty.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I am sure clientCo will be happy to take on some chav that has not worked in 12 months.
    No of course they wouldn't. But public sector, why not. Clean the litter, meals on wheels, paint the roads, gardening. There is no excuse.

Victorians probably had it right with work houses :-]

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Totally agree, I can't believe the Indian railways really need 1.6 million employees. Do our railway networks and franchises have 1 employee for every 12 passengers?

The flaw in Thatchers logic was everything had to make money regardless of the knock on effect.
    So the NHS is keeping Britain afloat?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    A more robust plan is required. If after 12 months you haven't found a job, then you should be forced to work.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    A more robust plan is required. If after 12 months you haven't found a job, then you should be forced to work.

We could get the manufacturing industry up and running. A mixture of job allowance and 1/2 minimum wage should do it. Two days a weeks, job sharing.

We're just too soft on people.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Support industry if it is profitable or at least has potential and all in it are prepared to live with economic reality maybe.
    I think I can see the flaw in milan's plan.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Support industry if it is profitable or at least has potential and all in it are prepared to live with economic reality maybe.
    Rolls Royce Jet Engines - prime example.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X