• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ryanair boss says air stewardesses should be allowed to land planes in an emergency"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Teach them to take off and land as well...

..in case of a pilots strike.

After a months experience they could lay the pilots off all together, share holder value.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Better Ryanair solution; get a passenger to land it and then charge him 40 quid for the privilege.

Easy-peasy.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Dead easy, you can also use it for email.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    while (speed.Current <= speed.Required)
    {
    thrust.Increase();
    // Todo. What if the engines don't respond ?!?!?
    }
    Hey! I wrote that bit of code when I was at Rolls Royce!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Lightship;1190127]Would you want one of these in your cockpit?

No, but I bet you'd like to be in hers (fnaar, fnaar)

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    This is called 'get free publicity on a slow news day' - it is from the same drawer as 'removing all seats from planes'.

utter rubbish generating headlines and time on the telly

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    In terms of larger commercial aircraft my own belief (so almost certainly wrong) is that manufacturers will be looking towards approval on a single pilot basis with a "safety pilot". This being somebody who is qualified and rated but not type approved.
    That's it, I'll be taking a train to mainland Europe next time I go there...

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A dozen or so African countries would, no problem sir.

European airspace, not on your nelly.
    Some citations are approved by the CAA for single crewed operations (and there are probably more recent approvals) within UK airspace subject to certain other flight equipment. Of course this is somewhat different to a mid size commercial airliner. The CAA would like there to always be a CPL in the second seat - but cannot enforce it and recognise it as unlikely with the increasing number of very light jets.

In terms of larger commercial aircraft my own belief (so almost certainly wrong) is that manufacturers will be looking towards approval on a single pilot basis with a "safety pilot". This being somebody who is qualified and rated but not type approved.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    More free advertising is it or is he being serious?
    When is he ever being serious?

Since he likes his free publicity so much he can have this - I flew on his airline once, never ever again.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Advertising as said before.

Would any country allow a passenger jet with one pilot in it's air space? .
    A dozen or so African countries would, no problem sir.

European airspace, not on your nelly.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    More free advertising is it or is he being serious?
    Advertising as said before.

Would any country allow a passenger jet with one pilot in it's air space?

One of my mates use to work for air traffic control and she pointed out there were already problems with some pilots not comprehending English sufficiently to deal with air traffic control, and if it wasn't for the co-pilot there would be more crashes.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    When that BA plane belly flopped onto Heathrow in 2008, they needed two pilots then. One to handle the yoke and the other to call ATC and operate the thrusters, flaps etc. The actions of both pilots combined is what prevented a catastrophe.

In fact it was the autopilot that was getting its knickers in a twist. It was basically executing

{
    thrust.Increase();
    }
    {tell pilots to adopt kiss my ass position}

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    When that BA plane belly flopped onto Heathrow in 2008, they needed two pilots then. One to handle the yoke and the other to call ATC and operate the thrusters, flaps etc. The actions of both pilots combined is what prevented a catastrophe.

In fact it was the autopilot that was getting its knickers in a twist. It was basically executing

{
    thrust.Increase();
    }

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Its only people's 'greed' in thinking they are getting value for money with his 'cheap' flights that allow him to be in a position to come out with such tulip.
    Nah. He doesn't believe in spending money on advertising. Branson has cornered the market in touchy-feely 'I'm a decent bloke' stunts, so he has to be the raving looney.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Shirley he can't be serious? Now, the autopilot might work ...
    Its only people's 'greed' in thinking they are getting value for money with his 'cheap' flights that allow him to be in a position to come out with such tulip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X