• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ooh look

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ooh look"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You're not going to take a netbook/tablet with you everywhere either, unless perhaps you're a woman and normally carry a bag with you. (Not that women have room in their handbags for a netbook/tablet). If it's not a "nothing" like a phone that you can slip in your pocket and not notice it's there, then you may as well stick a full sized laptop in a rucksack. At least that's the way I see it.

I was testing on a Samsung NC10 netbook at ClientCo recently, and I was suprised how heavy it was. Okay so it's lighter than my full sized laptop, but you have to put up with a miserably small screen, keyboard, and decade old performance.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    My laptop is too heavy to take everywhere. My phone is too limited by screen size and input method for anything other than basic net surfing. I can see why people want an inbetweener, but as far as I can tell it doesn't exist yet.
    You're not going to take a netbook/tablet with you everywhere either, unless perhaps you're a woman and normally carry a bag with you. (Not that women have room in their handbags for a netbook/tablet). If it's not a "nothing" like a phone that you can slip in your pocket and not notice it's there, then you may as well stick a full sized laptop in a rucksack. At least that's the way I see it.

I was testing on a Samsung NC10 netbook at ClientCo recently, and I was suprised how heavy it was. Okay so it's lighter than my full sized laptop, but you have to put up with a miserably small screen, keyboard, and decade old performance.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    This is wind up shirley? If you can't manage a netbook I suggest you go down the gym.
    If you can get a 10" netbook in the pockets of your enormous trousers, I think it might be you that needs the gym

It needs to be about the size of a small paperback book to be pocketable. A bit bigger than a smartphone, but Netbooks are too bulky. So are the current tablets. I think I'll have to wait for folding / roll-up screens.
    Last edited by doodab; 3 September 2010, 08:14.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    My laptop is too heavy to take everywhere. My phone is too limited by screen size and input method for anything other than basic net surfing. I can see why people want an inbetweener, but as far as I can tell it doesn't exist yet.
    This is wind up shirley? If you can't manage a netbook I suggest you go down the gym.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I have my 15" laptop for heavy usage. It's not exactly light, but if it doesn't fit into your pocket you've got to carry it one way or another so you may as well have a decently powerful machine. I have my phone, which does fit in my pocket, and my laptop for proper use. I can't imagine why anybody wants one device that sits inbetween the two, let alone two, but I'm sure the trendies can find a way of justifying it.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Ahhh, you mean more convenient for heavy useage, not more convenient for pub time surfing, gotcha.
    I have my 15" laptop for heavy usage. It's not exactly light, but if it doesn't fit into your pocket you've got to carry it one way or another so you may as well have a decently powerful machine. I have my phone, which does fit in my pocket, and my laptop for proper use. I can't imagine why anybody wants one device that sits inbetween the two, let alone two, but I'm sure the trendies can find a way of justifying it.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Under what circumstance is a netbook more convenient than a phone?

Just curious like.
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Having a decent keyboard for starters. Not to mention all that storage for spreadsheets I need to access. Try doing an SSH session on a phone, can be done but why?
    Ahhh, you mean more convenient for heavy useage, not more convenient for pub time surfing, gotcha.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Having a decent keyboard for starters. Not to mention all that storage for spreadsheets I need to access. Try doing an SSH session on a phone, can be done but why?
    I did a 3270 session on an iPod and it nearly killed me just putting my user and password in having to scroll left and right and up and down all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Really just covering different circumstances when I have be away from the house but still monitor, get email, Skype etc. Netbook's small and long battery life - great for the pub.

Phones can do the same job but not always convenient, you get the idea...
    Just sorted out a netbook for my mum. Thought it might be slightly easier for her to use during her 3 month trip to Australia, rather than her desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Just curious like.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Saucer of milk for table 2

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Really just covering different circumstances when I have be away from the house but still monitor, get email, Skype etc. Netbook's small and long battery life - great for the pub.

Just curious like.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If I had a smartphone and a laptop I'd say it was stupid to get a netbook too.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just can't see the point of a tablet. I have a smartphone (2 actually), a laptop and a netbook. What more?
    If I had a smartphone and a laptop I'd say it was stupid to get a netbook too. but you did But I'd agree having all those and a pad is silly... however a pad might eat into the netbook market for people who don't really want a laptop, but a different device altogether.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I love the fact that these things make calls. I cannot wait to see someone walking around with something around the size of an A5 pad up to their ear. That is going to be priceless.
    My laptop does calls through Skype but I never see anyone with an open laptop held around their face - I wish I did though

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    In English please.
    Sorry I'm on the wine and in my thirties, sometimes words that flash through my mind don't make it to the keyboard.

Of the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X