• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Make some room on the bench please"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    thanks Shaun,

well it appears the agency have caved in ( i told them not to ) and are squeezing their margin and from what the agent said purchasing are offering some flexibility too

waiting to talk to the agent later to findout exactly

the CH role is off, agent got the spec wrong

Milan.
    Well anyway. Joking aside, well done. Keep the invoicing going, replacement Passats don't grow on trees!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    thanks Shaun,

well it appears the agency have caved in ( i told them not to ) and are squeezing their margin and from what the agent said purchasing are offering some flexibility too

waiting to talk to the agent later to findout exactly

the CH role is off, agent got the spec wrong

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Excellent & well done for sticking to your guns and walking.

Let this be a lesson to all the newbie namby-pamby bed wetting pseudo contractors of a how a true professional contractor operates

God Bless
    Stretching it a bit isn't it? This is milan we are talking about!!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by bren586 View Post
    I had the same experience with the same company last year. Rate cut - no thanks, then no extension. Fine, I will have the summer off. It is not as if they pay top dollar anyway.

Then I got a call from purchasing about my unprofessional behaviour! If I left then the project would not finish on time (manager kicked it upstairs (CYA)). I said I was more than willing to stay but no rate cuts.

Rate cut or no extension.

OK, I will have the summer off.

I had a great summer
    Cheeky buggers!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Troll,

agree and disagree,

you know there's only so much in the pot, we need the namby-pamby bed wetting pseudo contractors to take rate cuts so that the project manager will have enough left in the pot to keep us on the rate to which we have become acustomed.

Thanks for the blessing - there's nothing like a bit of good luck.

I'll shall keep all updated.

All the fun of contracting.

Milan.
    Well good luck either way.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Let this be a lesson to all the newbie namby-pamby bed wetting pseudo contractors of a how a true professional contractor operates

God Bless
    Troll,

agree and disagree,

you know there's only so much in the pot, we need the namby-pamby bed wetting pseudo contractors to take rate cuts so that the project manager will have enough left in the pot to keep us on the rate to which we have become acustomed.

Thanks for the blessing - there's nothing like a bit of good luck.

I'll shall keep all updated.

All the fun of contracting.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

new job opportunity for Troll and

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    3 weeks time I'll be there if I can't find anything else

funny, client big blue said beginning july that no more budget for benes then recently they start talking to agent saying there can be an extension, but then purchasing says to agent benes has to take a rate cut, i told agent tell purchasing to stick their rate cut where the sun don't shine, also stressed to agent not to be under pressure to cut his margin, feck'em, they think they can find someone cheaper to to fix this stuff they are welcome to that person

as red adair said, you think it's expensive to hire a professional try hiring an amateur

anyway, might have an interview today or tomorrow for .net IDM in CH

Milan.

God Bless

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    well....

project manager from migration project just called me into an office for a chat, wants to join them for 6 months on the .net migrations of the j and mdm systems

i says, i'll happily join your team but as far as I understand there's a rate cut discussion and I said I do apologise, but I won't take a rate cut, ever so sorry

he said, that he's only speaking to me now because as far as he's aware it's all signed off and without a rate cut and he knows about the discussion

i says great

now waiting for the agency to confirm

IDM in CH is still very interesting and right up where I want to get my greasy hands .net technology wise on the other side migrating the j and mdm systems would also be interesting

the ups and downs of contracting eh

we shall see

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bren586
    replied
    snip
    funny, client big blue said beginning july that no more budget for benes then recently they start talking to agent saying there can be an extension, but then purchasing says to agent benes has to take a rate cut, i told agent tell purchasing to stick their rate cut where the sun don't shine,

/snip
    I had the same experience with the same company last year. Rate cut - no thanks, then no extension. Fine, I will have the summer off. It is not as if they pay top dollar anyway.

Then I got a call from purchasing about my unprofessional behaviour! If I left then the project would not finish on time (manager kicked it upstairs (CYA)). I said I was more than willing to stay but no rate cuts.

Rate cut or no extension.

OK, I will have the summer off.

I had a great summer

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

funny, client big blue said beginning july that no more budget for benes then recently they start talking to agent saying there can be an extension, but then purchasing says to agent benes has to take a rate cut, i told agent tell purchasing to stick their rate cut where the sun don't shine, also stressed to agent not to be under pressure to cut his margin, feck'em, they think they can find someone cheaper to to fix this stuff they are welcome to that person

as red adair said, you think it's expensive to hire a professional try hiring an amateur

Milan.
    You might be comming to Switzerland

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    *actually I'm in a pub garden with a good wine and some tapas, listening to jazz, but you know what I mean...
    Life is hard but someone has to do it?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Milan.
    When I worked for big blue the agent's margin was pretty low and (according to TAVs figures) they'd wouldn't have been making much money.

Good luck with the interview.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'm on the bench now* but I've got a couple of interviews lined up so I'm not expecting to be there long, things are better than they were at the beginning of the year.

*actually I'm in a pub garden with a good wine and some tapas, listening to jazz, but you know what I mean...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    They've automated the tape changer

still, more time to play with your rotisserie

the rotisserie is fantastic one of the best purchases of this year

we've grilled 11 times this summer so far, I guess next weekend will be the last one

getting cooler now

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X