• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chilean Mining Saga"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I wonder if the film rights have been bought yet.
    Plays have been written about this situation; I actually played in a student play about trapped miners, and had to 'die' on stage having first gone mad. I just can't remember the name of the play; must look up on wikipedia.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I think it would be a nice gesture if we sent Arthur Scargill down to share their struggle against capitalist oppression. It might be a bit tricky forcing him through a half mile long three inch wide tube, but I think its worth a go
    Given the size of his ego, I'm surprised he ever managed to fit it down a full size mine shaft.

Also wasn't he recently kicked out of the NUM because he no longer qualified for membership.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I think it would be a nice gesture if we sent Arthur Scargill down to share their struggle against capitalist oppression. It might be a bit tricky forcing him through a half mile long three inch wide tube, but I think its worth a go

Well he's such a slippery bastard it would probably be possible. However, just to be safe, we should chop him up into small pieces first. The only way to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Well, I feel the - aaarrrggh - a s p i r aaaaaaa t i o n s of our - gnaaaaaaaaa - m e m be r s have not - owwwwwwwww - b e e n m e t.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    There's not enough money in the world to get me down a mine and not enough prozac that could keep me sane if I was down there.

However as they are miners stuck in a gold mine and need to take their minds off the long wait ahead, why not tell them that any gold they find between now and when they get out is theirs to keep? They might even dig their own way back out.
    a cruel deal considering it's a copper mine!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    There's not enough money in the world to get me down a mine and not enough prozac that could keep me sane if I was down there.

However as they are miners stuck in a gold mine and need to take their minds off the long wait ahead, why not tell them that any gold they find between now and when they get out is theirs to keep? They might even dig their own way back out.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    They all knew they could get out at any time, that knowledge would always be a comfort. Those guys would never have been prepared for an extended duration like an astronaut, requires a mentally strong mind.

The thought even of moving up a 30 cm diameter hole that is 700m in length without it collapsing gives me the heebee jeebees

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I'm looking forward to the inevitable 'Celebrity' version of it all.
    I'm a Chilean Collier, get me out of here?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I agree. It's one thing going down for a shift or two when you know you can get out, and a completely different thing when you know escape is impossible.
    Well I'm sure they will be fine. It is not as if escape seems impossible. It is just likely to be protracted. Most miners will know the risks of their chosen trade, and these ones will, I am sure, be upbeat due to the fact that they could just have easily been killed in such an incident.
    Mind you, were we to be enclosing some of the namby-pamby bedwetters that frequent THESE pages, it would be an entirely different matter. Some of them wouldn't last the night without the light on, their comfort blankets, and being read a "Spot the Dog" bedtime story.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Tough they may be but they probably didn't expect that situation. Being stuck in the dark unable to move is one of my personal nightmares but I still used to go potholing, I just never thought it would happen to me.
    I agree. It's one thing going down for a shift or two when you know you can get out, and a completely different thing when you know escape is impossible.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Tough they may be but they probably didn't expect that situation. Being stuck in the dark unable to move is one of my personal nightmares but I still used to go potholing, I just never thought it would happen to me.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    They are not trapped in a mine shaft but they are in a safe “room” underground with some facilities. They have food, water and light. There are communications to the surface.
    WPS

These are Miners. Mentally and physically tough, they have to be. In a safe room with access to most of what they need.
    They spend most of their time underground in cramped claustrophobic conditions as a matter of routine.
    The only thing that will be vexing them will be whether or not they are allowed to bill for the entire period of their incarceration.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I'm looking forward to the inevitable 'Celebrity' version of it all.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I suppose its better than the lot of some miners, being stuck in the dark alone, unable to move in a tight space and not knowing if anyone knows you are there but still truly awful. Can't imagine doing that job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X