• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Wizard SQL Site

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wizard SQL Site"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    I must admit SQL is always been my weak point. Not simple queries, joins etc but I worked at a IB where I was asked to look after about 20 4000 odd line stored procs and just never took to it. Lack of formal training mostly which I have in non DB languages.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Of all the ITish things things I have ever done, I thought SQL was just about the easiest. One of the few areas where the "*** in 10 minutes" books got the timing about right.

What SQL needs is a fuzzy version, not what records match x,y,z but what records best match given importance and likely errors on x,y,z and then ordering according to closeness of match.
    Why is it then that the 'bible' of SQL is the alarmingly titled 'An Introduction to Database Systems (vols 1 and 2)"? Hands up - I only got halfway through Vol 2

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Of all the ITish things things I have ever done, I thought SQL was just about the easiest. One of the few areas where the "*** in 10 minutes" books got the timing about right.

What SQL needs is a fuzzy version, not what records match x,y,z but what records best match given importance and likely errors on x,y,z and then ordering according to closeness of match.
    select username from user where sockie fuzzy = true ;

username
    ---------
    gricerboy

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Last edited by xoggoth; 8 October 2010, 16:52.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Watch it you guys, DimShrimp is well hard...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I am not DimPrawn!

Don't worry Grocer, we believe you.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I am not DimPrawn!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Dim and gricer both posted a link to the same SQL site. The thread I posted was DPs.
    and they both seem to have a connection with Swindon.

Who'da thought it - Dim a trainspotter and in a barber's shop quartet?

(Mind you, there's serious money to be made barbershopping !)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Dim and gricer both posted a link to the same SQL site. The thread I posted was DPs.
    thanks min

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    for my simple brain can someone explain

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yup, bang to rights. It's him OK.
    for my simple brain can someone explain

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Yup, bang to rights. It's him OK.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I'd like to share a little nugget with you. If you spend a lot of time pulling your hair out over tricky sql queries you must consult this site:

Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave

Pinal Dave really has been a godsend.
    You have been nailed Dim

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1103440

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I'd like to share a little nugget with you. If you spend a lot of time pulling your hair out over tricky sql queries you must consult this site:

Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave

Pinal Dave really has been a godsend.
    he did one on accomodation as well - Peni-Pads.

saved a lot of problems, did peni-pads

Leave a comment:

Working...
X