• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: GSCE Results today

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GSCE Results today"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    No, I think you will find they were just fine. I did not want to point out your glaring misunderstanding before, but as you have pushed the matter, I shall.
    You have presumed I was talking about a point in time whereby 100% of students will receive nothing but A* passes.
    If you read back, you will find that is NOT what I suggested at all.
    Even now, less than 50% of all students opt to go to University. This number will further decrease as funding support disappears. Therefore the point in time where perhaps the 15-20% of all students that opt to go to Uni will, in fact, all have attained exclusively A* passes, may not be that far off at all.
    Now read and digest what I have highlighted and see if it sinks in this time. If not, you can always ask sasguru for support, if you can drag him away from his Lego and his Word Search books for long enough.

So 10 hours and no plausible comeback from the Jellyhead Brothers. My work here is done.
    Game, Set, and Match.

Next!!!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And yet you can't understand how to extrapolate a simple graph. Maybe those O-levels weren't all they're cracked up to be.
    No, I think you will find they were just fine. I did not want to point out your glaring misunderstanding before, but as you have pushed the matter, I shall.
    You have presumed I was talking about a point in time whereby 100% of students will receive nothing but A* passes.
    If you read back, you will find that is NOT what I suggested at all.
    Even now, less than 50% of all students opt to go to University. This number will further decrease as funding support disappears. Therefore the point in time where perhaps the 15-20% of all students that opt to go to Uni will, in fact, all have attained exclusively A* passes, may not be that far off at all.
    Now read and digest what I have highlighted and see if it sinks in this time. If not, you can always ask sasguru for support, if you can drag him away from his Lego and his Word Search books for long enough.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I attained A grades in the major O-Level subjects (English, Maths, and Arithmetic) back in 1974 sg. Back in the days when grades actually signified something.
    And yet you can't understand how to extrapolate a simple graph. Maybe those O-levels weren't all they're cracked up to be.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Would you like to lick his arse as well
    As well? Err, no.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    3 whole O-levels eh? In Maths and Arithmetic, no less!
    Well I suppose given the one, misfiring, synapse that constitutes the limit of your intellectual apparatus, that is an achievement of sorts.

There were others, obviously. Physics, Geography, French, Chemistry etc.
    But I did not want to overload your buffer, as it was plain to see your were still deliberating over how to get the slaver off your keyboard.
    Incidentally, as you seemed a little surprised, Maths and Arithmetic are actually quite different. Had you been educated in an environment that placed great emphasis on core topics, you might have grasped that fact.
    However, I suppose you were too preoccupied with trying to unravel your "Where's Wally?" textbooks to notice such matters passing overhead.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    We're going to have to produce a compilation of your best put-downs if there are many more of this standard. You made a good one yesterday relating to "complete tool" too. Very clever.
    Would you like to lick his arse as well, you pathetic brown-noser? Another one who the education system has, how do they put it, let down, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I attained A grades in the major O-Level subjects (English, Maths, and Arithmetic) back in 1974 sg. Back in the days when grades actually signified something. My comments, unlike anything that might whistle through the dormant canyon on your shoulders are, thus, pretty pertinent I'd say.

3 whole O-levels eh? In Maths and Arithmetic, no less!
    Well I suppose given the one, misfiring, synapse that constitutes the limit of your intellectual apparatus, that is an achievement of sorts.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I attained A grades in the major O-Level subjects (English, Maths, and Arithmetic) back in 1974 sg. Back in the days when grades actually signified something. My comments, unlike anything that might whistle through the dormant canyon on your shoulders are, thus, pretty pertinent I'd say.

We're going to have to produce a compilation of your best put-downs if there are many more of this standard. You made a good one yesterday relating to "complete tool" too. Very clever.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Should a dumbkopf like you really be commenting on the state of the education system?
    Perhaps if you had grown up nowadays instead of an age where O-and-A levels of rigour were de rigeur, perhaps you might have attained a couple fo grade E passes.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Pah! A century is nothing in the great scheme of things!

Should a dumbkopf like you really be commenting on the state of the education system?
    Perhaps if you had grown up nowadays instead of an age where O-and-A levels of rigour were de rigeur, perhaps you might have attained a couple fo grade E passes.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's not actually true. Look at the graph again:
    In 20 years, the % getting A/A* has gone from 10% to 20% in a fairly linear way. Even if we accelerate it to 10% up a decade it's going to be nearly a century.
    Pah! A century is nothing in the great scheme of things!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Very soon now, our Unis will be chock full of kids that all attained A* passes in everything they sat.
    That's not actually true. Look at the graph again:
    In 20 years, the % getting A/A* has gone from 10% to 20% in a fairly linear way. Even if we accelerate it to 10% up a decade it's going to be nearly a century.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

No sign of grade inflation or standards being lowered then. Nothing to see here, please move along and collect your degrees/GCSEs on the way out.
    Very soon now, our Unis will be chock full of kids that all attained A* passes in everything they sat. There will only be a couple of things that they do not know..........

1) Who the fook is going to lend me the dosh to do the Course I want to do?

2) Who the fook is going to employ me even if I pass the Course I want to do?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    GCSE results: top comprehensive plans to offer degree courses - Telegraph

Henrietta Barnett School, a grammar school in London, was rated the top state school overall with 100 per cent of candidates achieving five top GCSEs including 92.4 per cent at A* or A.
    Surely shome mishtake?

All pupils at Thomas Telford are encouraged to take some GCSEs up to two years early

This year one student at the school, which caters for all abilities, achieved 14 A* grades while another got 13 A*s.
    ...Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, favouring universities cutting the length of standard degree course from three years to two to cut the deficit.
    No sign of grade inflation or standards being lowered then. Nothing to see here, please move along and collect your degrees/GCSEs on the way out.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    It would be quite interesting to see a comparison between this year's papers and those 20 years ago...*
    I'd like to get hold of a GCSE paper in a subject I've never studied and see if I can still manage to acheive a "pass". It must be possible in some of the more vague subjects to get that far on common sense alone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X