• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A serious SKA question for AtW"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think HAB is talking about link-farming, and the answer is SKA doesn't try to treat them specially or detect such things?
    SKA shows data "as found" with a few additional metrics that allow human analyst to decide if this link is indeed valuable or not.

In the near future we'll be adding more metrics to help reach such decision quicker.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I think HAB is talking about link-farming, and the answer is SKA doesn't try to treat them specially or detect such things? Doesn't Google try to detect where several sites all link a lot to each other, and discount the importance of those links? You rarely seem to get spam sites coming top in Google searches so I assume they use heuristics and other algorithms to try and detect this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

SKA remembers outgoing links found on crawled pages and tries to follow them at later date - some links might redirect to another location (tinyurl.com is good example), sometimes (especially with ads) it is not possible to follow them due to robots.txt restrictions.
    Sounds like web crawling has some similarities to disassembling. That's another situation where one has to trawl through jump and call "links", and defer these for later examination.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    So there is difference between legit and bogus backlinks?
    What do you mean by "bonus"?

Backlink is a backlink - some come from less important sites, some from more: SKA can see that reasonably well.

Human analysis can pick up a lot of other stuff such as quality of site, whether it looks like paid link or not etc.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    So there is difference between legit and bogus backlinks?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    SKA remembers outgoing links found on crawled pages and tries to follow them at later date - some links might redirect to another location (tinyurl.com is good example), sometimes (especially with ads) it is not possible to follow them due to robots.txt restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    started a topic A serious SKA question for AtW

A serious SKA question for AtW

On StatCounter I get an Ad for 1,000 backlinks for $9.99.

Now I know why and all that, but what I am wondering is how SKA treats them. Does it treat them in the same way as all the other links in your database including those to pages that no longer exists?

Working...
X