• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rant

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rant"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    what's an ETL process?
    "ETL" is poshspeak for "move".

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    In this case the T stands for "Toss around with the data for no apparent reason"
    ahh perfect, combined with Extended and Learning I got it spot on then.. enjoy unravelling my code, it should help make the days fly by and no need to thank me for all the extra billing..

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    what's an ETL process? I never did find out but I believed I successfully hid the fact with my complex design.. you might want to find out before you begin, it may work better, again, I was too busy trying to stay awake..
    In this case the T stands for "Toss around with the data for no apparent reason"

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    what's an ETL process? I never did find out but I believed I successfully hid the fact with my complex design.. you might want to find out before you begin, it may work better, again, I was too busy trying to stay awake..

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    ******* contractors!!!

I've just spent most of this week trying to make what should be a small and simple change to an ETL process. A task which has been made almost completely impossible by the horrendous mess left behind by whoever initially built it.
    A massively complicated data model, spaghetti SQL code and no ******* documentation or comments.
    6 tables where 2 (at most) would do
    over 4000 lines of code in a single procedure which if it had a half decent data model could be done in 500

I've just crossed the point where it would have been quicker for me to redo all his tulip in a proper manner

Sounds like one of mine.

Most of HAB Inc is like that - well, the best bits are.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I think you'll find this was done on purpose. You were supposed to hire them back to fix the mess. Their cunning plan obviously didn't work.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    I wish, unfortunately this was a lone gun UK born and educated (apparently) contractor
    ahh so you're saying it was TLG that did it.. ignore my previous post then, you obviously haven't worked at my old site yet.

That crusty tissued beauty is yet to come, you should look forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You only have to spend some time on here to realise that many contractors are not the tulip hot techies they fondly imagine themselves to be, but are simply overly self-regarding unconsciously incompetent morons.

WOW. You are in reflective mood today!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You only have to spend some time on here to realise that many contractors are not the tulip hot techies they fondly imagine themselves to be, but are simply overly self-regarding unconsciously incompetent morons.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Sorry, I was either too drunk, too hungover or too busy planning my next holiday to worry or care..

.. plus I didn't have a clue what it was all about.

However, I did leave a Pot Noodle and some tissues (slightly used) in the desk drawer for whenever I did overtime.. you're welcome to use them.

Chef

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    infosys
    I wish, unfortunately this was a lone gun UK born and educated (apparently) contractor

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    ******* contractors!!!

I've just spent most of this week trying to make what should be a small and simple change to an ETL process. A task which has been made almost completely impossible by the horrendous mess left behind by whoever initially built it.
    A massively complicated data model, spaghetti SQL code and no ******* documentation or comments.
    over 4000 lines of code in a single procedure which if it had a half decent data model could be done in 500

I've just crossed the point where it would have been quicker for me to redo all his tulip in a proper manner

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    ******* contractors!!!

infosys

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Yep, I know, **** ******* ****head ****s!

**** the ******* **** ****ers.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    ******* contractors!!!

If you will work with amateurs what do you expect?

BTW. Can someone explain the difference between a Dimension and a Fact table to me!

Ta

Leave a comment:

Working...
X