• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Feeling guilty Tony?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I wondered who the first sad bastard to post something like this would be.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    It's blood money, so I'm out.
    I don't think you were in the running for a share.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    It's blood money, so I'm out.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Stephen Fry's take on it:

Good to see Hurricane Katrina is dedicating the proceeds of her autobiography to the people of New Orleans

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I wondered who the first sad bastard to post something like this would be.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    TBH one of my insistent daydreams is having Tony Blair in a headlock and repeatedly punching his smarmy face.
    Does that make me a bad person? Will I go to hell?
    Oi! Blair made you rich and don't you forget it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You ought to take notes.
    Are you suggesting I should put my hand into his pocket?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yes it can be when doing so allows person escape with really bad decisions made, effectively he buys his way out.
    He hasn't escaped anything though, has he? All he has done is put his hand in his pocket. And to worthwhile effect too. You ought to take notes.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Giving large sums of money to a good cause can never be a bad thing
    Yes it can be when doing so allows person escape with really bad decisions made, effectively he buys his way out.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Well I happen to think that is it a very worthwhile gesture. It does not absolve him of any blame he may shoulder for going to war (assuming you believe the decision to have been wrong of course, which not everyone does!), but I very much doubt he imagines it will anyway.
    Giving large sums of money to a good cause can never be a bad thing, despite what the anti-warinistas would try and have us believe.
    On a Report Card littered with "must do betters", this at least gets him Pass marks.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    TBH one of my insistent daydreams is having Tony Blair in a headlock and repeatedly punching his smarmy face.
    You are a bad person and you will go to hell. Thats a given.
    But you will get one millenium off for good behaviour for every blow landed whilst having him in a headhunt. sorry, headlock.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    just think about what he could have done when he was in power. He could have made a real difference, I am not talking about the wars, but the terms and conditions, living quarters etc
    and the gurkhas.
    Instead we got a ban on fckng fox hunting

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Really? Wouldn't profits otherwise go to his company?
    Also, he said ALL royalties would go to the Legion as well, not just this first advance. I'd imagine this would end up a whole stack of money.

Not to mention, so what if he earned 10X that (although the news said 6X) in the last, what, 4 years? I don't imagine many with a 5-year warchest here saying "I don't need the money, I'll give £50k away". Its still a lot of money and a lot of his TIME which is probably far more relevant.
    just think about what he could have done when he was in power. He could have made a real difference, I am not talking about the wars, but the terms and conditions, living quarters etc
    and the gurkhas.
    Instead we got a ban on fckng fox hunting

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    How much will buy himself a place in heaven?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    After tax it would only have been 2 million to Blair, maximum, and he's earned ten times that since he stood down as PM.
    Really? Wouldn't profits otherwise go to his company?
    Also, he said ALL royalties would go to the Legion as well, not just this first advance. I'd imagine this would end up a whole stack of money.

Not to mention, so what if he earned 10X that (although the news said 6X) in the last, what, 4 years? I don't imagine many with a 5-year warchest here saying "I don't need the money, I'll give £50k away". Its still a lot of money and a lot of his TIME which is probably far more relevant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X