• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Let them eat cake

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Let them eat cake"

Collapse

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Did navy blue knickers feature anywhere?
    I suspect not, in those days of youthful abandon.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I like to put sausages and brown sauce in it. Or chips. Or eggs and bacon.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Still in use in the US and Japan though.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I don't want to get you too hot under the collar here, but I also wore flesh coloured tights, flat shoes, and a blue gingham dress. Heavy on the polyester.
    Eeep!

Back in 5!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Phooooar!
    I don't want to get you too hot under the collar here, but I also wore flesh coloured tights, flat shoes, and a blue gingham dress. Heavy on the polyester.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I had a job at Morrisons when I was younger, which my Mum made me take. I hated it. I was a checkout girl - they made me wear a TABBARD for gods sake.
    Phooooar!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Some of the stuff thats put in commercially produced bread. Bear in mind bread is essentially Flour, water, yeast, salt and sugar.

Calcium propionate
    Mono-and diglycerides
    Potassium bromate
    Partially hydrogenated oils
    Sodium stearoyl lactate
    Sorbic acid
    Ascorbic acid
    Acetic acid esters of mono- and diglycerides
    You can never have too many glycerides!
    Last edited by SupremeSpod; 3 August 2010, 11:43.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Some of the stuff thats put in commercially produced bread. Bear in mind bread is essentially Flour, water, yeast, salt and sugar.

Calcium propionate
    Mono-and diglycerides
    Potassium bromate
    Sodium stearoyl lactate
    Sorbic acid
    Ascorbic acid
    Yummy, you're making me hungry.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Calcium propionate
    Mono-and diglycerides
    Potassium bromate
    Sodium stearoyl lactate
    Sorbic acid
    Ascorbic acid

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Sounds thrilling!
    Yeah, I'm sure it is.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Where I lived in Germany there was a "Bread Museum", I never visited.
    Sounds thrilling!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    My Dad is german, and hates our 'real' bread, he prefers the rank German equivalent.
    Where I lived in Germany there was a "Bread Museum", I never visited.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    If I opened it, I would have to buy it.

They have some bread here in Germany that is perfectly cuboid and lasts about 2 weeks. Scary stuff, but it fits perfectly in the toaster.
    My Dad is german, and hates our 'real' bread, he prefers the rank German equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Bread is softer when it's fresher. I'm not quite that bad, but I do still instinctively give the loaf a bit of a sneaky squeeze while I'm putting it in the basket just to make sure it's not completely rock hard (it never is).
    I had a job at Morrisons when I was younger, which my Mum made me take. I hated it. I was a checkout girl - they made me wear a TABBARD for gods sake.

I am ashamed to admit that to liven up my day I used to go to great lengths to annoy the revolting Morrisons customers.

I would ensure loaves of bread went through first, followed by an aggressive volley of tins - regardless of the order it was packed onto the belt.

I once charged a woman £1 for an unlabelled large orange as I couldn't be arsed working out how much it should be.

I was put on the "cash only" till for what would ultimately turn out to be my last shift. Two young blokes came through with loads of lager, then tried to pay by card. I refused to accept the card, and made one of them run out to the cashpoint before I'd serve him, holding the queue up by about 10 mins.

I was reprimanded for not using the card machine I did actually have access to, then sacked for my 'attitude', as when asked - 'do you WANt this job?'by the manager, my response was a snort.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Take a sniff of a loaf of the extended life stuff some of them sell when you open it. Smells more like chemicals than bread.
    If I opened it, I would have to buy it.

They have some bread here in Germany that is perfectly cuboid and lasts about 2 weeks. Scary stuff, but it fits perfectly in the toaster.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X