• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client micro-management"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Which then means that her job is not unique to her and could be in danger of being chopped and her duties passed to others that are aware of and are quite capable of what she did. This seemed to be the main focus in the one public sector client I had. Project could go to rat tulip for all they cared as long as their jobs were safe.
    In my brief exposure to the public sector everything had to go up and down the command pyramid, i.e communication via the bosses and no collaboration between members of different teams.

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    they don't let contractors recruit permies. The most I can do is "assist" with recruiting permies

....but hey, wouldn't it be fun if we could??
    I understand (I think), you don't recruit contractors yourself.

Yes, agree on last comment above;

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by stillooking View Post
    are we talking about vacancies for permie's?
    they don't let contractors recruit permies. The most I can do is "assist" with recruiting permies

....but hey, wouldn't it be fun if we could??

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    There is. A lot.

I work in the private sector and when I have vacancies to fill I wouldn't touch someone from the public sector with a bargepole. And I am definitely not in the minority judging by comments from others.
    are we talking about vacancies for permie's?

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    There might be a bit of truth in that, I've not had a proper plc gig since I first went into the public sector about 5 yrs ago.
    There is. A lot.

I work in the private sector and when I have vacancies to fill I wouldn't touch someone from the public sector with a bargepole. And I am definitely not in the minority judging by comments from others.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    you don't just get this empire building office politics tulip in public sector only.

It all depends on the outlook of senior managment regardless of where you are

well from my experiences anyway.

either way - Keep calm and carry on!

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    The longer I stay in this gig (now 2 months in) the more I realise what I have let myself in for. The above is so true!! No accountability in any part of the organisation. IT are the low life compared to the clinicians. Even the other contractors are developing a public sector mentality!!!

If I stay the 12 months it will be a miracle!! If I do, I will have to jump straight into a private sector contract to cleanse myself!!
    Ah well; don't fret too much. Just go with the flow & culture.

Speaking from experience, there are public sector places that are not so nice, so just be thankful it's ok?

I've worked in the health sector, it's not too bad where I contracted and would go back again.

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Assuming the private sector will touch you now that you have been molested by the public sector.
    There might be a bit of truth in that, I've not had a proper plc gig since I first went into the public sector about 5 yrs ago.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    The longer I stay in this gig (now 2 months in) the more I realise what I have let myself in for. The above is so true!! No accountability in any part of the organisation. IT are the low life compared to the clinicians. Even the other contractors are developing a public sector mentality!!!

If I stay the 12 months it will be a miracle!! If I do, I will have to jump straight into a private sector contract to cleanse myself!!
    Assuming the private sector will touch you now that you have been molested by the public sector.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Public sector white collar -

First of all get in there, feet under table.
    Get the pension/perks.
    Make sure you keep yr line manager sweet (unless you're in a union).
    Write the line "I will do better next year" a thousand times for your performance appraisal (and do this every year).

Do nothing effectual for 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Which then means that her job is not unique to her and could be in danger of being chopped and her duties passed to others that are aware of and are quite capable of what she did. This seemed to be the main focus in the one public sector client I had. Project could go to rat tulip for all they cared as long as their jobs were safe.
    It's like this at all the places I've been working at recently (public sector).

Public sector white collar -

First of all get in there, feet under table.
    Get the pension/perks.
    Make sure you keep yr line manager sweet (unless you're in a union).
    Write the line "I will do better next year" a thousand times for your performance appraisal (and do this every year).

Do nothing effectual for 30 years.
    Then get pensioned off, hopefully very early thus burdening the taxpayer even more.
    Then die.

A bit sweeping perhaps, but there you go

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    A dinosaur with worms?
    ??

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Not at all. When I spoke to XXX I was told it was appropriate for her to be copied in.

Not that I am aware of.....! She is just a carp manager and unable to deal with someone that is more qualified and has more experience than her..........!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    You need one of these
    A dinosaur with worms?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    some of the emoticons can be a bit confusing/misleading, for a dinosaur (like me).
    You need one of these

Leave a comment:

Working...
X