• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PC World rip off merchants"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    I lurve the shops on Tottingham Court Rahd - I go into the shops and stare at the shelves for hours, until I ask if they've got a short usb cable and the little Indian chap says the shortest they've got is 1.9m.

Sigh...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    A much better bet is RS Components , especially for things like cables and peripherals.
    My goodness! Good old Radiospares still going?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Had to walk into PC World yesterday as I was short of SATA hard drive power converter (PSU had old style sockets)
    PC World is for lazy ignorant chavs who can't be bothered to research or buy online or find a small PC shop (although I must admit to buying a few bits and bobs there over the years, including a couple of PCs - but I curse my laziness and ignorant chavishness each time I walk through the door!)

A much better bet is RS Components , especially for things like cables and peripherals.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "test please delete?"
    Is this supposed to be a very long thread with lots of useless posts just to help us increasing our quota?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    Only an idiot would consider shopping there. Alas, that is where you went wrong Alexei!

Now did I ever tell you the old story about these hostages??
    Yes SB, you did. And guess what, you were spouting tulipe about things you knew nothing about then, too.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by n3il123
    I just love the way that these threads go.. they start off with ATW moaning about the price of sata cables (what ever the **** they are) in PC world and go on to disecting the whole theory of economics, monopolies and the Dixon group....

Glad I didn't start a topic on the price of a pint
    I think someone should come along, grab you by the ear, and pull you away from the forum. She's done it before. Not knowing what a SATA cable is. I mean. What is the world coming to.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    I guess you just have to ask. Manufacturers like this idea of having different model numbers for the same item, it makes them seem bigger.
    Tim I worked with a number of people who worked for Dixons - the reason manufacturers would setup new SKU just for Dixons was because of Dixons twisting their hands so much that they had to give them ridiculous discounts noone else will ever get, that's why they would setup a special SKU for products they would sell to Dixons.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Do you know what it takes to get a supplier to setup special SKU of the same product just for a given company?
    I guess you just have to ask. Manufacturers like this idea of having different model numbers for the same item, it makes them seem bigger.

OK so there's a cost, but the items in question are large and relatively expensive, the extra cost of rebranding is tiny, compared to the other costs.

tim

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    I've actually bought a few things from PC World, their 'web exclusives' are really good. You order through the website and pickup at the store.

I bought a linksys wireless router and a belkin wireless card far cheaper than i could have got it from ebuyer, plus i picked it up an hour later. It is true that their normal instore prices are a ripoff.

Leave a comment:

• n3il123
    replied
    I just love the way that these threads go.. they start off with ATW moaning about the price of sata cables (what ever the **** they are) in PC world and go on to disecting the whole theory of economics, monopolies and the Dixon group....

Glad I didn't start a topic on the price of a pint

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Unfortunately the free market is not just a consumerist control mechanism for ensuring low prices!
    But there is no free market here - Dixons is a monopoly! They barely escaped official investigation by relevant Govt agency!

I am certainly for free market, but I don't like non-free market of monopolies!

Say in DYI I can easily say that there is B&Q, HomeBase and someone else - they are all big and clear competitors.

Say in supermarkets we have Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury and Morrisons - all fighting for customers, they are clearly competitors.

But name me any other similar to Dixons/PC World shop on high street? There is not one! That's why Dixons get huge sales and that's why suppliers have to create special SKUs just for them!

Leave a comment:

• woo
    replied
    I'd rather go to pc world than dabs.com

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical
    Main Entry: mo·nop·o·ly
    1 : exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action
    2 : exclusive possession or control
    3 : a commodity controlled by one party
    4 : one that has a monopoly

There is no legal privilege, there is no command of supply and there is no concerted action.

The prices, including the prices at which suppliers sell goods to Dixons, are regulated by the free market.
    Trouble is AtW has a demand-side idea of the market, whereas we from free-market countries have a supply-side understanding of the market.

We think it's a free market if people are not actually prevented from competing by government, whereas he seems to think that it's not a free market if it doesn't produce low prices.

Unfortunately the free market is not just a consumerist control mechanism for ensuring low prices!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical
    Thus, there is no command of supply.
    Do you know what it takes to get a supplier to setup special SKU of the same product just for a given company?

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Command of supply happens when a company owns for example all oil refineries in a country, restricting access to oil other than through this company. Dixons in no way controls the supply of silicon, computer chips or hard drives. In fact they buy all of their wares from other companies. There are no forces preventing you from going to the same suppliers and buying the goods yourself. Thus, there is no command of supply.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X