• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm not too sure that will work as I'm giving, I believe, a presentation / training / hands-on demo of one of their products so not actually saying anything might not go down too well And I'm only there for the day...(must remember not to get tanked up the night before in Zürich )
    Be very generic and vague, throw in some buzzwords and make sure they have a fresh pot of coffee (and some painkillers) handy.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Buy a Moleskine notebook and a nice pen*, look intent, say nothing but 'hmmm', nod and make lots of notes.

You be amazed at how often you refer back to them and the people you deal with will think you very wise for being so fascinated by their every word.

*important - style and confidence is everything in those first 2 days.
    I'm not too sure that will work as I'm giving, I believe, a presentation / training / hands-on demo of one of their products so not actually saying anything might not go down too well And I'm only there for the day...(must remember not to get tanked up the night before in Zürich )

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm ever so glad I don't (and never have) work in IT.
    Whs++;

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I'm bored with IT. Bored.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    No problem at all. I work through an umbrella and pay full Employee/Employer NI and Income Tax. I don't piss about scrabbling for pennies and can sleep safely in my bed without a care in the world.

You?
    I piss about scrabbling for pennies. But I also sleep safely in my bed without a care in the world, never worrying whether I've missed a Bob or two hiding under a desk.

I was thinking of the broader issue of part-and-parcel, that's all.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

.. I work through an umbrella and pay full Employee/Employer NI and Income Tax.
    I suppose there's little you can do to avoid it, going through a brolly, but I wouldn't pay income tax and NI if I had to clock in each morning with a little card and my boss spent the whole day sitting next to me working my mouse.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Where does pissing about looking for the bicycle shed and showers appear on the "style and confidence" scale?
    Personally I just lock my bike up, walk into the office and sit around sweating for a bit. The style comes naturally, the confidence from experience.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

How do you stand with IR35 on that?
    No problem at all. I work through an umbrella and pay full Employee/Employer NI and Income Tax. I don't piss about scrabbling for pennies and can sleep safely in my bed without a care in the world.

You?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    They work there, they're not Security Cleared so when the last cleared guy leaves he has to send the Bobs home.

How do you stand with IR35 on that?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Buy a Moleskine notebook and a nice pen*, look intent, say nothing but 'hmmm', nod and make lots of notes.

You be amazed at how often you refer back to them and the people you deal with will think you very wise for being so fascinated by their every word.

Where does pissing about looking for the bicycle shed and showers appear on the "style and confidence" scale?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'll call them Darling if it means invoicing...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    stakeholders
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That word needs to stop being used.
    "Vampire killers assistants" is so much more descriptive.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Not too sure what will happen on the one day contract in Zurich this Friday though. The company that I'm going to provide service to IBs and private banks and seem to think I work for the worlds largest computer firm. I'm not too sure what I'm meant to be doing as no one from clientco (worlds largest computer company) is going to be there and don't really have any specs. I expect I'll get a follow on though to actually do the work (hopefully )

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    How did they get in? Don't you lock up at night?
    They work there, they're not Security Cleared so when the last cleared guy leaves he has to send the Bobs home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X