• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New BBC News site layout"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    There's a menu at the top?
    A menu that is so good it blends into the background and makes the site look and feel more like an ecommerce site than an International news site.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    OK, I fkn hate it - don't actually seem to be able to 'find' any news due to the lack of categories on the page - having to scroll down to find them is a chore and counter-intuitive/productive.
    There's a menu at the top?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Not sure I like it either. I fear change.
    OK, I fkn hate it - don't actually seem to be able to 'find' any news due to the lack of categories on the page - having to scroll down to find them is a chore and counter-intuitive/productive.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Don't like it but will have to get used to it!
    Not sure I like it either. I fear change.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    What's the lowest size monitor that would support this without the need to scroll horizontally? Is it 15"?

Just wondering what the standard is in these days of large screen displays.
    It's not just the size of the monitor per se, it's the resolution - and how good your eyes are...
    WSSS. It's going to be fine on anything down to 1024*768; the next widely-found resolution below that is 800*600. On such a screen you'd still be able to see all the primary content by vertical scrolling; you'd only have to scroll horizontally to look at all of the stuff in the right-hand column. In fact, that would apply all the way down to 640*480, assuming the vertical scrollbar wasn't too thick.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    What's the lowest size monitor that would support this without the need to scroll horizontally? Is it 15"?

It's not just the size of the monitor per se, it's the resolution - and how good your eyes are...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The content width is fixed at 976px. The primary column on the left of the home page is 624px, and the supplementary column at the right is 336px (plus 16px of margin between them == 976). The main story headline is also 624px; the story content column is 464px wide, allowing for supplementary material such as pullquotes and photo insets in the right-hand 160px of the story, with the right-hand supplementary material still at 336px (and 16px margin between the two primary columns).

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I hope it's not. I hope they have given the actual text a maximum width or I don't think I'll be able to read it on my 24" screen.
    The content width is fixed at 976px. The primary column on the left of the home page is 624px, and the supplementary column at the right is 336px (plus 16px of margin between them == 976). The main story headline is also 624px; the story content column is 464px wide, allowing for supplementary material such as pullquotes and photo insets in the right-hand 160px of the story, with the right-hand supplementary material still at 336px (and 16px margin between the two primary columns).
    Last edited by NickFitz; 14 July 2010, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    maximumcontentwidthisthenewshinyidea
    I hope it's not. I hope they have given the actual text a maximum width or I don't think I'll be able to read it on my 24" screen.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

In a world where most new PCs now come with widescreen monitors, was this really necessary?
    maximumcontentwidthisthenewshinyidea

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Is it just me or have they basically taken stuff from the left hand side (menus) and right hand side (related news, external links, etc) and just put them at the top of bottom of the page?

In a world where most new PCs now come with widescreen monitors, was this really necessary?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    They missed a bit.

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Overview

Still has the old design.
    They haven't switched everything over to the new CMS yet.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Nick. Does the BBC site work in IE6?
    I presume you mean the BBC News site?

It's generally OK; a few touches missing here and there. There's a shedload of hacks in there to cope with IE-less-than-8's utter brokenness though:

Code:
    <!--[if (IE 6)|(IE 7)]>   <style type="text/css"> .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast, body #blq-container.blq-gvl-3 .blq-foot-opaque { background: transparent;  -ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#66000000,endColorstr=#66000000)"; filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#66000000,endColorstr=#66000000); }  html body #blq-container #blq-nav {background: transparent;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast #blq-search { padding: 5px 4px 4px 7px; } .blq-gvl-3 #blq-nav-main a { background-position: left 12px; } .blq-morepanel-shown #blq-nav-m a { background-position: 83% -13px} </style>  <![endif]-->  <!--[if IE 6]>  <style type="text/css"> .blq-clearfix {height:1%;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home .blq-home {display:none;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-autosuggest {margin-left:-7px; padding-bottom:8px} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-nav-main {background-position: 96% 16px;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home img {visibility: hidden;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home a {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod='crop', src='http://static.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/1.3.2/newnav/../gvl3/img/blocks/light.png');} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home a {cursor:pointer} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home span.blq-home {height:32px; width:107px;} .blq-footer-image-light, .blq-footer-image-dark {width: 68px;height: 21px;display: block;} .blq-footer-image-dark img, .blq-footer-image-light img { visibility: hidden; } .blq-footer-image-light {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod='scale', src='http://static.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/1.3.2/newnav/../gvl3/img/blocks/light.png');} .blq-footer-image-dark {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod='scale', src='http://static.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/1.3.2/newnav/../gvl3/img/blocks/dark.png');} </style>   <script type="text/javascript"> try { document.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache",false,true); } catch(e) {} </script> <![endif]-->   <!--[if lt IE 6]> <style> html body #blq-container #blq-foot { background: #4c4c4c; } html body #blq-container #blq-foot a, html body #blq-container #blq-foot p, html body #blq-container #blq-foot li { color: white; } </style> <![endif]-->
    and, in an unusual but effective approach:

Code:
    <!--[if lte IE 6]><body class="news ie disable-wide-advert"><![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 7]><body class="news ie7 disable-wide-advert"><![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 8]><body class="news ie8 disable-wide-advert"><![endif]-->
    <!--[if !IE]>--><body class="news disable-wide-advert"><!--<![endif]-->
    which means they've even had to introduce hacks for IE8, which gets most things right

They've also excluded a load of styles from IE-less-than-6, and a load more from any version of IE.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Did Nick do it?

Can't someone cut off the wire from his bloody keyboard?

He's got an iPhone, allegedly

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I like the reduced size of the BBC navigation bar.

I like the menu change - quicker to jump to required section (two pages loads before, now just the one you are interested in.

I also like the customize features.

I'm ambivalent towards the new layout.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    They missed a bit.

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Overview

Still has the old design.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X