• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dresden - February 1945!!"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Exactly.

Especially since the Brits had over a quarter of it at the time.

And much good did it bring.
    We could do with a poll: Was the British Empire a good or bad thing? It would makes a change from what did the Romans do for us.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    No sir, the krux of the matter is that Glasgow has "nationalist areas" in the first place.

Personally I'd bomb the f**king lot of 'em and start again.
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Indeed you would, which is why you had your "Olive Branch Monitor" status retracted.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Indeed you would, which is why you had your "Olive Branch Monitor" status retracted.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well that is the krux of the matter isn't it? Their point-blank refusal to reroute their march away from Nationalist areas, where they have had their inflammatory excesses indulged for far too long.
    Personally speaking it does not bother me as they seldom reroute themselves through South Devon.
    However, if I lived on their route, I expect I would be as happy as the average resident of Hastings might be if hordes of smelly Normans trudged through their estate every year celebrating the Battle of Hastings.
    Of course in civilised countries, no such blatant divisive provocation is allowed. Only uncivilised backwaters like Ulster and, tragically, the West of Scotland.
    No sir, the krux of the matter is that Glasgow has "nationalist areas" in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Erm no, my post consisted of 2 unsubstantiated quotes and a smiley, the second quote is the one you seem to be ignoring in the blinkered assumption that you were the only person who knew the first quote was bollocks......
    If that is the impression I gave then please accept my apology.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Serves them right for trying to take over the world.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    They did their trial run here:

Still rather a sore point as well. The story goes that a bomber went down with the crew still alive who were 'caught' by the townspeople and hung from a lamppost.
    The dry run to that was done here:

At about 16:30 on Monday, 26 April 1937, warplanes of the German Condor Legion, commanded by Colonel Wolfram von Richthofen, bombed Guernica for about two hours. Germany, at this time led by Hitler, had lent material support to the Nationalists and were using the war as an opportunity to test out new weapons and tactics. Later, intense aerial bombardment became a crucial preliminary step in the Blitzkrieg tactic.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Oddly enough, we have amongst the assembled congregation, one Billy Pilgrim.

Presumably he drops in & out as his travels through time allow.
    So it goes

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Granted, that’s not what the bowler hats are celebrating, but if they’re not bothering people then leave them be. If they are bothering people then reroute the march, it’s not hard really.
    Well that is the krux of the matter isn't it? Their point-blank refusal to reroute their march away from Nationalist areas, where they have had their inflammatory excesses indulged for far too long.
    Personally speaking it does not bother me as they seldom reroute themselves through South Devon.
    However, if I lived on their route, I expect I would be as happy as the average resident of Hastings might be if hordes of smelly Normans trudged through their estate every year celebrating the Battle of Hastings.
    Of course in civilised countries, no such blatant divisive provocation is allowed. Only uncivilised backwaters like Ulster and, tragically, the West of Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Your post consisted of an unsubstantiated quote and a smiley.
    Erm no, my post consisted of 2 unsubstantiated quotes and a smiley, the second quote is the one you seem to be ignoring in the blinkered assumption that you were the only person who knew the first quote was bollocks......

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    At least the Germans rebuilt their towns properly

Not all of it is as nice:

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    They did their trial run here:

Darmstadt's old city centre was largely destroyed in a British bombing raid on Darmstadt on September 11, 1944 (Darmstadt had first been raided on July 30, 1940, one of 35 attacks to come). This attack on Darmstadt was an early use of the firestorm technique - subsequently used on the city of Dresden in February 1945 - where a number of incendiary bombs are dropped around the city before explosive blast bombs are dropped to begin a self-sustaining combustion process where the winds generated by the fire are sufficient to ensure it continues to burn. Darmstadt was selected as the secondary target for the raid, but promoted to primary target after cloud over the primary would have obscured reconnaissance view of the after-effects. During this worst attack an estimated 11,000-12,500 inhabitants died, and 66,000-70,000 were rendered homeless. Over three quarters of Darmstadt's inner city area was destroyed in the raid, leading to a relatively architecturally plain style of post-war rebuilding, although a number of older buildings were rebuilt in their original styles.
    Still rather a sore point as well. The story goes that a bomber went down with the crew still alive who were 'caught' by the townspeople and hung from a lamppost.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    At least the Germans rebuilt their towns properly

unlike the Brits.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The historian Taylor summed it up nicely: "The destruction of Dresden has an epically tragic quality to it. It was a wonderfully beautiful city and a symbol of baroque humanism and all that was best in Germany. It also contained all of the worst from Germany during the Nazi period. In that sense it is an absolutely exemplary tragedy for the horrors of 20th century warfare and a symbol of destruction"

It's taught in schools, the video in question is from a British tv series. I think it's fairly well known what happened. Whether it was really justified - I've no idea. It remains a horrifying event. But that's war for you.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Because they've sod all else to do and a drunken summer afternoon scrapping sounds like fun.
    They're just bad losers mate, that's what it is.

On another note:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_...d/10594614.stm

Not even marching day, just a few bonfires and look who's causing all the trouble:

The trouble began at about 2345 BST on Sunday. Police used water canon and fired baton rounds at the nationalist rioters.
    Christ if they wanted an invite all they had to do was ask.
    Last edited by Incognito; 12 July 2010, 15:11.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X