• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I see why Bob is taking the jobs. Dev work is eazy...."

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh. I was amazed how quick it was to knock up a blog comment thingy with anti spam and comment removal functions in mySQL and PHP from lots of odd bits off the net. Can't imagine it would be acceptable in a commercial application as they have all these daft rules about standards. One could write an aircraft control system in about 6 months if they didn't make such a fuss about a few crashes. Trial and error is a perfectly good approach in my view.

PS Matlab is widely used in avionics industry, or used to be anyway.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    The thing is HAB, you knew what you wanted.

Most clients don't.

Which is where having a developer who speaks English and doesn't need the various meanings of "haircut" "margin" and "yield" explained to him/her is a positive boon.
    This is very true. I may not be a techie anymore, but I do know the business domain very well.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    The thing is HAB, you knew what you wanted.

Most clients don't.

Which is where having a developer who speaks English and doesn't need the various meanings of "haircut" "margin" and "yield" explained to him/her is a positive boon.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Or if your answer had been "I can analyse your data and then talk bollocks!", you might well have got a job with sasguru, delivering "suitable" data to the AGW fraternity.

When you have the faintest idea about what you're talking about perhaps you might start making sense.
    Actually you're symptomatic of the bulltulip this country runs on. Its why we're not doing very well.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    HAB, I've spent the last couple of weeks parked on the bench studying and practicing with Mathematica.
    So, seriously, if you are contemplating any heavy duty numerical stuff, such as statistical analyses,

If you think you can produce valid statistical analyses after 2 weeks of studying Mathematica, you're sorely mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Why do you people insist on learning software that nobody has any commercial requirement for.

If you answer had said, I can analyse your Sales data to predict your quarterly forecast or I can produce a dynamic predictive model of product mix & margin, then you're in with a chance of a job. Otherwise you're just talking bollocks.
    Or if your answer had been "I can analyse your data and then talk bollocks!", you might well have got a job with sasguru, delivering "suitable" data to the AGW fraternity.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I've used MatLab on a couple of simulation projects and to develop some DSP code.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I use Octave quite a lot, but that's only because that client would rather pay for a body to fill the gaps than buy MatLab.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    There is a freeware near-clone of matlab called scilab if you want to play with it.

Home - Scilab WebSite

Mathematica is awesome. I haven't used a recent version of Maple (which was the system we had at uni), but from what I understand that's probably the only thing that comes close to Mathematica in terms of all round capabilities. They both have home editions for around £200 now, well worth the money if you are interested enough in maths to make use of it and willing to tackle the learning curve.

You will probably find matlab and mathcad more common in industry though.

Not that I know **** all about it.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    You'll find that Matlab is used a lot. I've used it in the past and I've got something down the line that will be using it.

R is used a lot too.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    HAB, I've spent the last couple of weeks parked on the bench studying and practicing with Mathematica.

It's amazing what version 7 can do, in the way of calculation, "visualization", and even interactive plots, although I dare say other packages can do some or all of these.

So, seriously, if you are contemplating any heavy duty numerical stuff, such as statistical analyses, or even differential equations, drop me a line.

(Not saying it's much practical use for finding a contract though - A Jobswerve search on "Mathematica" returned "not found - did you mean mathematics". )
    Why do you people insist on learning software that nobody has any commercial requirement for.

If you answer had said, I can analyse your Sales data to predict your quarterly forecast or I can produce a dynamic predictive model of product mix & margin, then you're in with a chance of a job. Otherwise you're just talking bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

It's amazing what version 7 can do, in the way of calculation, "visualization", and even interactive plots, although I dare say other packages can do some or all of these.

So, seriously, if you are contemplating any heavy duty numerical stuff, such as statistical analyses, or even differential equations, drop me a line.

(Not saying it's much practical use for finding a contract though - A Jobswerve search on "Mathematica" returned "not found - did you mean mathematics". )

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    You'd need to officially be in this country too

There are several other reasons too.
    (No, I've not done any time and I'm not a bankrupt.)

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I should apply for them £650 pd jobs that Joey/Chloe goes on about. I'll need banking experience though.
    You'd need to officially be in this country too

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I've forgotten more than I know. For the stuff I can't remember or don't know I ask my special friend Mr Google.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Look! A dove has appeared from thin air!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X