• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Won't someone think of the poor agents?"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    As many of these people don't seem to have principles I don't see how they can fail to conform to them. Amoral might be a better word.
    Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Wrong. It is an accepted "practice". Something entirely different.

HTH
    As many of these people don't seem to have principles I don't see how they can fail to conform to them. Amoral might be a better word.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Yeah, like all these ex-ministers get them nice cushy directorships and non-execs on merit, and high paying world speaking tours because people want to hear what they think, especially as it doesn't matter anyway as they're not in government any more.

If you care to look in a dictionary what immoral actually means, then you will find an immoral act generally described as being against accepted principles.

As this is an accepted principle it is therefore not immoral.

HTH
    Wrong. It is an accepted "practice". Something entirely different.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Perhaps they have redefined the meaning in the Dictionary then? You been in that time machine again?
    That's cheating!!!

Yeah, like all these ex-ministers get them nice cushy directorships and non-execs on merit, and high paying world speaking tours because people want to hear what they think, especially as it doesn't matter anyway as they're not in government any more.

If you care to look in a dictionary what immoral actually means, then you will find an immoral act generally described as being against accepted principles.

As this is an accepted principle it is therefore not immoral.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    What is immoral about it? It is just business.

You have a company, tell politico they can have a nice juicy directorship in it when they leave office, show them you have the money to pay to keep them in the life they wish to become accustomed too.

Jobs a gud'un.
    Perhaps they have redefined the meaning in the Dictionary then? You been in that time machine again?
    That's cheating!!!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Ahh....got you. Much more pragmatic, if a sight more immoral.

What is immoral about it? It is just business.

You have a company, tell politico they can have a nice juicy directorship in it when they leave office, show them you have the money to pay to keep them in the life they wish to become accustomed too.

Jobs a gud'un.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No I meant club together to amass a big bribe.
    Ahh....got you. Much more pragmatic, if a sight more immoral.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You mean like some sort of Professional Contractors Group???

Can't see that ever amounting to much!!

No I meant club together to amass a big bribe.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    we just need to persuade British industry that the thing to do is prefer one group of people with no idea what they are doing over the other.
    Shouldn't be too hard. The last Government allowed British Industry to be persuaded that they should prefer one (cheap) group of people with no idea, to another group of people that actually DID know what they were doing.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Maybe we could club together?
    You mean like some sort of Professional Contractors Group???

Can't see that ever amounting to much!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Ah well there you go then, we just need to persuade British industry that the thing to do is prefer one group of people with no idea what they are doing over the other.
    I didn't say I had no idea. Though despite doing a degree in Maths/Physics/CompSci, very little of my work has ever directly used university education.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Pretty much. My first job out of university was as a physics programmer. No training of any sort.
    Ah well there you go then, we just need to persuade British industry that the thing to do is prefer one group of people with no idea what they are doing over the other.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    But you didn't get there by walking into a job that needed advanced technical skills you didn't have did you?
    Pretty much. My first job out of university was as a physics programmer. No training of any sort.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    But you didn't get there by walking into a job that needed advanced technical skills you didn't have did you?
    Nope, never blagged a contract in my life...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    And yet we all started without skills and are now models of skilled professionals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X