• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Flying Etiquette

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flying Etiquette"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You do talk some rubbish don't you!
    I do try!!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well I agree with most of that. I don't feel that the benefits of reclining the chair are all that fantastic, so don't generally bother. On the other side of the coin, I don't feel any great discomfort if someone in front reclines their chair either.
    And I am not exactly petite. Seems like some people just like having something to complain about to be honest.
    You do talk some rubbish don't you!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If the flight is short, then I see no need to inconvenience those around you. I manage to sleep fine on my weekly flight without needing to move the chair and kneecap the guy behind me. If there is space (occasionally bmi use an A320 instead of an A319 on my flight, which has a business section), then I would consider reclining the seat - but since you are in the air for 40 minutes, can't recline for the first bit during take-off and can't recline during the last 10 minutes for landing, there really is very little point in doing it. I'd rather sleep for the whole flight rather than being woken to move the chair, to be honest with you.

Consideration of others costs nothing, and it is a shame that it's something that is going out of fashion in the UK today. I'm convinced that my children are going to get lamped one day soon because they are so indignant when people don't say please and thank you...
    Well I agree with most of that. I don't feel that the benefits of reclining the chair are all that fantastic, so don't generally bother. On the other side of the coin, I don't feel any great discomfort if someone in front reclines their chair either.
    And I am not exactly petite. Seems like some people just like having something to complain about to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If it is deemed unacceptable to recline a reclining seat then why don't the airlines simply install non-reclining seats then? It won't reduce the passenger numbers, so no economical aspect to it.
    If the flight is short, then I see no need to inconvenience those around you. I manage to sleep fine on my weekly flight without needing to move the chair and kneecap the guy behind me. If there is space (occasionally bmi use an A320 instead of an A319 on my flight, which has a business section), then I would consider reclining the seat - but since you are in the air for 40 minutes, can't recline for the first bit during take-off and can't recline during the last 10 minutes for landing, there really is very little point in doing it. I'd rather sleep for the whole flight rather than being woken to move the chair, to be honest with you.

Consideration of others costs nothing, and it is a shame that it's something that is going out of fashion in the UK today. I'm convinced that my children are going to get lamped one day soon because they are so indignant when people don't say please and thank you...

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Since noise-cancelling headphones normally have some kind of electronic / electric gadgetry in them, they shouldn't be switched on when the seatbelt lights are on anyway in the UK. Also, anything that might interfere with your ability to hear instructions during an emergency (typically during take-off or landing) should be prohibited by the cabin crew.
    WHS

those which are not battery powered do not help much in that environment

Anyway, they normally put some complimentary ear plugs in the sweets tray, that helps a bit.

And they always serve drinks two times, not that they know when you personally need a fresh one

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    And that's the point I was making earlier in the thread - these days people are so inconsiderate that unless there is something in writing that tells them that they shouldn't do something, they believe that there is nothing wrong with inconveniencing others around them.

If it is deemed unacceptable to recline a reclining seat then why don't the airlines simply install non-reclining seats then? It won't reduce the passenger numbers, so no economical aspect to it.
    The bottom line is that it is only grumpy malcontents that have a real issue with this, and if they don't have the cojones to confront the person at the time and explain their position, it is a bit pointless coming on forums like this carping on and looking for sympathy. I bet some of these bedwetters get their knickers in a twist when someone parks in "their space" outside of their house too. Bunch of Hyacinth Bouquets!!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    FFS!! Either go on a diet or upgrade you muppet. The seats are designed to go back. Try reading the card in the seat pocket. All manner of events can occur, the doors can even be opened in an emergency.
    And that's the point I was making earlier in the thread - these days people are so inconsiderate that unless there is something in writing that tells them that they shouldn't do something, they believe that there is nothing wrong with inconveniencing others around them.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    As I think someone mentioned earlier, there is no difference in seat pitch between cattle and business on many short haul flights. They just move a little curtain further down the aisle.
    I was "upgraded" last week on BMI. It meant that instead of sitting on the aisle in row 4, where I had chosen to sit so that I could make sure I got my bag into the overhead locker easily, I ended up in the middle seat in row 1 where there is naff all overhead luggage room.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I never had a problem with that, just leave the plug where it can be seen by the stewardess so she can see it's not plugged in.
    Since noise-cancelling headphones normally have some kind of electronic / electric gadgetry in them, they shouldn't be switched on when the seatbelt lights are on anyway in the UK. Also, anything that might interfere with your ability to hear instructions during an emergency (typically during take-off or landing) should be prohibited by the cabin crew.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    you are not allowed to during takeoff/landing (50+% of flight time), they keep thinking you've got an ipod hidden somewhere ..
    I never had a problem with that, just leave the plug where it can be seen by the stewardess so she can see it's not plugged in.

also with other airlines I have never had a flight cancelled because "the pilot got stuck in traffic on M4"
    I had one eastern airways flight delayed because the pilot managed to sprain his ankle running for the shuttle bus. Only found out what had happened to him the week after when I was chatting to the stewardess during take off.
    Similar things happen to other airlines it's just that they don't pass the detail onto the passengers.

Out of 40 odd flights I've taken with Eastern only 1 was late and my baggage was always waiting for me at the other end. Decent on board drinks service (the staff seemed to be trained in knowing when you need a fresh one), well trained staff (see drinks), 30 minute checkin in before the flight, priority security at some airports and lightening fast boarding and disembarking.

Can't be beaten really! They're the only airline I miss flying on.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    just wear Noise cancelling headphones
    you are not allowed to during takeoff/landing (50+% of flight time), they keep thinking you've got an ipod hidden somewhere ..

also with other airlines I have never had a flight cancelled because "the pilot got stuck in traffic on M4"

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    You what?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    yes, if seating inside a giant hoover for 1 hr is your type of thing

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    From my experience Eastern Airways offer the best flying experience. Probably because their planes are tiny
    yes, if seating inside a giant hoover for 1 hr is your type of thing

Leave a comment:

• ads1980
    replied
    And I was just thinking about booking a flight to New York with jet2.com!!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Why else would you fly business class?
    Because you don't have time to take the scenic route?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Why else would you fly business class? It's not my fault that God made be better.

Another glass of Champagne?
    I only fly business cos I am a gold member frequent flyer with the airline and that qualifies me for automatic upgrade on every flight and business class check in and fast track through customs

it's a very nice perk

nicest thing about business for me is priority boarding and being the first off the plane at the other end

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X