• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ladies' Wimbledon Final"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    As someone who's done a lot of sailing, it's a very physical sport although this is secondary to skill and experience. On yachts there are a lot of heavy winches and all that, on dinghys it's a constant physical battle in a heavy breeze as you constantly use your weight to steer the boat through waves, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Gymnastics - subjective
    Synchronised swimming - subjective
    Cheer Leading - subjective
    Yachting - Boat and technology have more impact
    Nob!

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Stop bloody stirring it Brucie.
    MF! Stop stirring That'll be the day!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I didn't say women were better with horses. It might sound odd but the size of the horse has nowt to do with it either. They are stronger than all of us by an order or magnitude.
    Not true. Jockeys carry extra weight to try and handicap the horses in order that the horses' abilities are neutralised. So clearly even a few Kg extra makes a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Gymnastics
    Synchronised swimming
    Cheer Leading
    Yachting
    Stop bloody stirring it Brucie.

Night Drewster, you misguided fool

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Gymnastics
    Synchronised swimming
    Cheer Leading
    Yachting

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    G'Night all.... Its getting late over here....

See you all tomorrow

(Extra for Zippy)

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I didn't say women were better with horses. It might sound odd but the size of the horse has nowt to do with it either. They are stronger than all of us by an order or magnitude.
    <Ahem> I think I did mention that that had more of an influence on the outcome of equestrian contests than the sex of the rider.....

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I'm sure there is a sweet spot for horses, in much the same way that dwarves and giants rarely excel in human sporting endeavours. You don't see many shetland ponies in the grand national do you?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Of course, the whole "women are better with horses" thing fails to consider that a man, being big and strong, needs a big strong horse whereas a girlie, being somewhat easier to carry, can pick a steed that sits right in the sweet spot of horsey athleticism.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Of course, the whole "women are better with horses" thing fails to consider that a man, being big and strong, needs a big strong horse whereas a girlie, being somewhat easier to carry, can pick a steed that sits right in the sweet spot of horsey athleticism.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    In that case I don't agree with you....

As previously quoted you (seem) to accept that my argument is correct EXCEPT in the field of equestrianism.....

Your "concrete" example is not an example of man vs woman in a direct contest.
    In all branches of equestrian sport/contests the physical prowess of the horse is a huge factor that far outweighs the gender of the rider.

I thought you might come up with something like Freediving where the world record for depth is held (or was until recently) by a woman....
    Or possibly angling where several records are held by women....
    Or even something like round the world yacht racing.....
    but you still persist with maintaining that Horse riding in some way meets the criteria I have explained several times....

Do you really think that the human "effort" of horseriding is anything approaching that of the horse?
    "Effort" wasn't mentioned up until now, and completely changes the argument (to your detriment, incidentally). I'm not going to pursue it though as I'm obviously wasting my time. At the risk of repeating myself (and paraphrasing you), you asserted that men would always beat woman in sport. This is quite clearly incorrect.
    There are other sport(s) examples but I thought I'd stick to an area where I have some experience and I know what I'm talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    What about chess? That's pretty much a brawn free activity.
    Yep good one..... Not sure its sport but it is head to head.....

Any idea of %age of Chess Masters that are Male? I am only guessing but I bet High (well over 50%)

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    What about chess? That's pretty much a brawn free activity.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Drewster it's not about physical fights. I'd probably lose.
    You made an assertion which was incorrect and however much you wriggle and moan I've provided a concrete example of why that was incorrect

I dunno where MF found the family snap.
    In that case I don't agree with you....

As previously quoted you (seem) to accept that my argument is correct EXCEPT in the field of equestrianism.....

Your "concrete" example is not an example of man vs woman in a direct contest.
    In all branches of equestrian sport/contests the physical prowess of the horse is a huge factor that far outweighs the gender of the rider.

I thought you might come up with something like Freediving where the world record for depth is held (or was until recently) by a woman....
    Or possibly angling where several records are held by women....
    Or even something like round the world yacht racing.....
    but you still persist with maintaining that Horse riding in some way meets the criteria I have explained several times....

Do you really think that the human "effort" of horseriding is anything approaching that of the horse?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    however much you wriggle and moan
    Another sport where women come out on top.....

IGMC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X