• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mosquitos. There's a lot of them about!"

Collapse

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was told by a doctor who treated me once for about 200 bites that had swollen up that actually everyone gets bitten but they react differently.

I can have bites come up again months after if I have another bad reaction to an insect bite. They tend to come up the size of 1pence pieces for each one.

I always wanted to go to the Amazon, but I'm afraid I may be eaten alive!
    I did my JWT in Belize and still have the scars from some of the mozzy bites.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I was told by a doctor who treated me once for about 200 bites that had swollen up that actually everyone gets bitten but they react differently.

I can have bites come up again months after if I have another bad reaction to an insect bite. They tend to come up the size of 1pence pieces for each one.

I always wanted to go to the Amazon, but I'm afraid I may be eaten alive!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    But how do they know until they have bitten you?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Grow more body hair.

That's the conclusion I've come to as they like my blood also.

Alternatively eat loads and loads of Marmite.
    Female mosquitoes suck your blood and inject an anti coagulant into your blood. Mosquitoes prefer sweet blood so you may be diabetic.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    In the house have them blue lamps that blow them to bits.

For outside one can buy these 'flat' citronella candles in a dish things. That keeps them away.
    Aye, ex-mrs HAB had loads of those things on the patio.

When out 'n about - we got through loads of OFF!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You should meet the Missus, you could swap endlessly exciting tales about all your huge lumps from getting bitten. Insects never bite or sting me because I am nice to them.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Right. I don't mind suggestions. But I do draw the line at suggestions that are going to make me smell like Gin & Tonic or a poofs handbag!
    Sod you then.... If you prefer the mozzie bites........

And before we get into the whole 'homophobe' debate, some of my best mates are mincers so leave it! Alright!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    In the house have them blue lamps that blow them to bits.

For outside one can buy these 'flat' citronella candles in a dish things. That keeps them away.

I've also introduced White Cloud Mountain Minnows into the lakes and streams on my land. Which basically removes the problem at source.

And I do stuff like only use half-tires to hold down the silage sheets, barrows are always leaned up, etc. so there are no little pockets of standing water.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by cnch View Post
    As a serious aside, bring a Celt. The mosquitos aways prefer our skin..... that has always been my experience.
    Sit with the chain-smokers. They don't like smoke.

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    I went out last night in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Today I have about a dozen scars and bloody scabs. Itching away!!

My father-in-law who also came out. Not a sausage, not a single bite.

Mosquitos, like drunks, daddy long legs and members of the local BNP seem to be drawn to me like a moth to a flame. I once had to receive treatment in a hospital in Spain for Christs sake?

Does anyone have any foolproof solutions(apart from wearing chainmail and a helmet) on not getting bitten when wearing speedos and a crop top at the pub?
    As a serious aside, bring a Celt. The mosquitos aways prefer our skin..... that has always been my experience.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Does anyone have any foolproof solutions(apart from wearing chainmail and a helmet) on not getting bitten when wearing speedos and a crop top at the pub?
    Yes, bring the wife. She's an excellent decoy.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Lemon or other citrus smelling stuff......... cheapest probably squeeze a lemon into several pints of water then spray from one of those.... well spray bottle thingies..... before you go out...

If "caught short" at the pub just steal a slice of lemon from a girly drink and (subtly) rub it over bare skin.....
    Right. I don't mind suggestions. But I do draw the line at suggestions that are going to make me smell like Gin & Tonic or a poofs handbag! And before we get into the whole 'homophobe' debate, some of my best mates are mincers so leave it! Alright!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    They never bother me. Must be my ultra thick Celtic skin that puts them off. They make a beeline for Mrs SB too....which is nice!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Lemon or other citrus smelling stuff......... cheapest probably squeeze a lemon into several pints of water then spray from one of those.... well spray bottle thingies..... before you go out...

If "caught short" at the pub just steal a slice of lemon from a girly drink and (subtly) rub it over bare skin.....

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Are you sure they are mozzies? Did you see 'em? If you've come out in big lumps it'll be blackfly and the only way to keep the sods off you is to use insect repellant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X