• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "English football - the Inquest."

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    He was referring to the nation as a whole, at least that's how I took it?
    How very dare he!!!!
    Does he have no conception of the numbers of plastic flags that have been sold in the last 6 weeks or so?
    If that is not passionate then I don't know what is...............although curiously, I have not noticed quite so many today.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Can you honestly say that over the 4 games that any of the players played with passion.

If anyone David James did, probably the best player we had over the the 3 games he played.

No lung busting runs from midfield apart from the first 3 mins against USA
    No pressing, thundering tackles, no shouting.
    He was referring to the nation as a whole, at least that's how I took it?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    The team from the "Best League in the World" played remarkably like the team from the "Worst League in the World".

HTH

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Are you on drugs?
    Can you honestly say that over the 4 games that any of the players played with passion.

If anyone David James did, probably the best player we had over the the 3 games he played.

No lung busting runs from midfield apart from the first 3 mins against USA
    No pressing, thundering tackles, no shouting.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    There just isn't that national passion that other countries have. In Canada we are not too worried when our local team doesn't do too well, but it is an absolute must that the national team do well. It seems the opposite in England is true.

So where was this Rooney chap BTW? MIA AFAICT
    Are you on drugs?

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    He played to the whistle.
    As all professionals should.

Otherwise, you get this

YouTube - DiCanio vs Barthez

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    There just isn't that national passion that other countries have. In Canada we are not too worried when our local team doesn't do too well, but it is an absolute must that the national team do well. It seems the opposite in England is true.

So where was this Rooney chap BTW? MIA AFAICT

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Is Manuel Neuer a cheat?

He must have known the ball crossed the line & yet carried on playing. Not very sportsmanlike at the least.
    He played to the whistle.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    News conference is 10 minutes late to start. Bet Fabio has quit!
    Doesn't look like it and I hope he stays.

The FA need to back him when they decide in 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Apparently (I read it so it must be true) the Germans have the best teams in the world at all levels of youth football.
    So what? We still produce the best cars in the world.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Apparently (I read it so it must be true) the Germans have the best teams in the world at all levels of youth football.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Perhaps we should have seen it coming: 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I think the death of English football is being slightly overstated.

Yes, we did defend awfully. John Terry looked and played like my Grandad (who's been dead a while) and there is no doubt we missed Rio. We lack the strength in depth to cope with one or two of our main guys being out of sorts (never mind 10 of them), we looked too tired to run in midfield (although perhaps that was due to bad preparation i.e. the altitude training camp?), and the number of times one of players just stood there with the ball and waited for a German to take if off him was staggering.

Despite all that, lets not forget that even with half the team playing like donkeys, if Frank Lampard had been a bit luckier we would have gone in 2-2 at half time and been 3-2 up shortly after the restart, rather than chasing the game and being vulnerable to the quick counters that put the result beyond doubt. So it's not all gloom and doom.

I am going to wait and see how this German side do against top class opposition in Argentina before I pass final judgement. They may be young but the core of the German team made it to the Champions League final and for all we know we may have been steamrollered by the next world champions.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    News conference is 10 minutes late to start. Bet Fabio has quit!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You do not have the talent, look at your goalkeepers, you got them from Birmingham City, West Ham & Portsmouth, a combined goal difference of -60 last season. Capello then decides that the best one is the (probably injured) James who's team just got relegated. You do not have an English Keeper in the top 10 keepers in the Premiership, probably more. As I said all along, and have been proven right, your players are simply are not good enough. Your defence was a laughing stock, Algeria gave you a going over for long spell in that match, I will say again, Algeria gave you a going over.

The Sky money focused your teams on the short term "why train a goalkeeper, we can outbid any other country in the world". Your own teams fight it out for 17 year olds from the Ivory Coast. The drop down to the championship makes teams desperate and they pay millions for dross like a losing gambler chucks in his car keys.

You have to do what Germany did and force teams to stay out for debt, then you will start to train players again.

But I think it is too late, it will get worse before it gets better, your best players are all about to retire and your clubs are not so heavily in debt it will take decades to get out of the mess.
    I quite agree. Apart from a short period in the 30s and 40s, the Krauts ahve demonstrated consistent long-sightedness whether it be the way they organise their footy or their economy.
    The short termist English way leads to disaster.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I still maintain we have the talent but not the mentality, we play too many domestic games and the clubs always come before country.
    You do not have the talent, look at your goalkeepers, you got them from Birmingham City, West Ham & Portsmouth, a combined goal difference of -60 last season. Capello then decides that the best one is the (probably injured) James who's team just got relegated. You do not have an English Keeper in the top 10 keepers in the Premiership, probably more. As I said all along, and have been proven right, your players are simply are not good enough. Your defence was a laughing stock, Algeria gave you a going over for long spell in that match, I will say again, Algeria gave you a going over.

The Sky money focused your teams on the short term "why train a goalkeeper, we can outbid any other country in the world". Your own teams fight it out for 17 year olds from the Ivory Coast. The drop down to the championship makes teams desperate and they pay millions for dross like a losing gambler chucks in his car keys.

You have to do what Germany did and force teams to stay out for debt, then you will start to train players again.

But I think it is too late, it will get worse before it gets better, your best players are all about to retire and your clubs are not so heavily in debt it will take decades to get out of the mess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X