• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sybil Fawlty!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sybil Fawlty!"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by cnch View Post
    Ummm Las Vegas or Hackney - I would prefer Hackney Did you travel much when you were there?
    Was there putting a GSM Mobile Network in, so got out and about a bit to the general area of Beirut, as far as the Bekaa valley. Fancied a trip to Damascus, but never got the chance.

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I was there in early 1995, so a while ago. For most of the time I was there we lived in West Beirut which was grim. However, had I stayed there any longer I would probably have moved north to the Christian area which, by comparison, was like comparing Las Vegas to Hackney!!
    Ummm Las Vegas or Hackney - I would prefer Hackney Did you travel much when you were there?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    like comparing Las Vegas to Hackney!!
    The hookers were cheaper but smoked more crack?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Never been to Calcutta or Katowice, but did you not find Beirut a little Chavvy (obviously depends on when you were there), but very Chavlike in recent years.
    I was there in early 1995, so a while ago. For most of the time I was there we lived in West Beirut which was grim. However, had I stayed there any longer I would probably have moved north to the Christian area which, by comparison, was like comparing Las Vegas to Hackney!!

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I liked the chicken story.... it is obviously a nice, relaxed place.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Oh yes, it is. But that is hardly a badge of honour is it?

It's Basingstoke, not Boringstoke

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Could be worse you could be in Reading!
    Katowice, Poland | A City Guide | Cracow Life

It looks somewhat more pleasant than Basingstoke.
    The website doesn't really sell it.

Never been to Basingstoke, so can't comment, nor have I been to Poland. How come you all manage to get contracts in other countries, but I can't - not that I'm jealous.

Why don't you two get together since you're so close.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Oh yes, it is. But that is hardly a badge of honour is it?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Could be worse you could be in Reading!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well I don't anymore, but when I did I always found that looking at my invoices was always a real tonic. Made my time in sh*tholes like Beirut, Calcutta, and Katowice a lot more palatable.
    Katowice, Poland | A City Guide | Cracow Life

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    Well I don't anymore, but when I did I always found that looking at my invoices was always a real tonic. Made my time in sh*tholes like Beirut, Calcutta, and Katowice a lot more palatable.
    Never been to Calcutta or Katowice, but did you not find Beirut a little Chavvy (obviously depends on when you were there), but very Chavlike in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I'm not a horse and hounds person.

What a bunch of girls!!!!!
    How do you cope working away from home?

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    That must have been a blast. 18-30 was it?

As the Bomb Disposal Expert said to the Librarian!!

I am sure it is a fantastic place to live, but it is not exactly Horse and Hounds is it?
    I'm not a horse and hounds person.

What a bunch of girls!!!!!
    How do you cope working away from home?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I speak Arabic,but not fluently and find it a bit painful to read and it was the only place where my sex was not an issue. Been there before on hols.
    That must have been a blast. 18-30 was it?

It doesn't matter where you are... you can still pop your clogs.
    As the Bomb Disposal Expert said to the Librarian!!

... and what pray tell is wrong with Divis?
    I am sure it is a fantastic place to live, but it is not exactly Horse and Hounds is it?

Leave a comment:

• cnch
    replied
    You applied for a job in Palestine because you "fancied a change"?
    FFS!!! Where did you grow up..............the Divis Flats?

I speak Arabic,but not fluently and find it a bit painful to read. Anyway it was the only place where my sex was not an issue. Been there before on hols. It doesn't matter where you are... you can still pop your clogs.

... and what pray tell is wrong with Divis :-) - I didn't live anywhere near there, but do remember seeing it on the news regularly?
    Last edited by cnch; 18 June 2010, 20:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X