• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Accounting advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accounting advice"

Collapse

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by niggsy
    I buy from India and sell to retailers, I sell very little to the public. Should I register for VAT?
    Yes, you should. You have to pay VAT on anything that you import for commercial use in the UK. The only way to reclaim the VAT is to register.

If your sportswear business starts taking off, you might want to consider running it as a separate company from the contracting stuff, since there are lots of benefits to being flat rate registered if you are a contractor, but none if you're in the import/export business.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Quite right. As soon as your gross turnover exceeds £57k (from memory - it's something like that), you have to register for charge VAT. Do not mess around with the men from the Excise, they make the Revenue look like pussycats.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by niggsy
    VAT Registration!

I've been a contractor for a few years now but last year I created a sportswear company. Things are looking good on the sales front and I've recently started importing from India. Importing raised the question of VAT registration, should I? Shouldn't I? (I needed a VAT number to get my goods out of Stansted (used a Pseudo TURN this time)).

I buy from India and sell to retailers, I sell very little to the public. Should I register for VAT?
    I thought you had to register for VAT if your turnover exceeded a certain amount, about £50K when I last looked. You should go to the Customs and Excise web site and find out.

Leave a comment:

• niggsy
    started a topic Accounting advice

Accounting advice

VAT Registration!

I've been a contractor for a few years now but last year I created a sportswear company. Things are looking good on the sales front and I've recently started importing from India. Importing raised the question of VAT registration, should I? Shouldn't I? (I needed a VAT number to get my goods out of Stansted (used a Pseudo TURN this time)).

Working...
X