• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to eat healthy when stuck in a b&b for the week?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by bingobob View Post
    Buy and eat healthy food instead of unhealthy food. Any other major issues you're having problems with? How to cross a busy road? Cleaning up after a poo?
    Conciliatory barstard!!

Leave a comment:

• bingobob
    replied
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    Could do with some tips on trying to stay healthy when working away.....getting sick of microwavable meals and fast food.....
    Buy and eat healthy food instead of unhealthy food. Any other major issues you're having problems with? How to cross a busy road? Cleaning up after a poo?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Slow cookers are great, fill the pan up with the ingredients and go off to work. By the time you get home all the veg is cooked and the main ingredients has either stopped swimming or dead and floating on top.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    My 2p

Always get to a gym when staying away. As other posters have said it'll make you sleep and help regulate your appetite plus it makes sure that you don't pile on the pounds.

I never have a cooked breakfast when staying away for any length of time - it's a slippery slope. I try to have fresh fruit and yoghurt and toast or cereal for breakfast - probably at my desk. Lunchtime is probably the most difficult - if you have access to a microwave and fridge at work there's a whole load of healthy lunches available at the supermarkets that at a pinch will substitute for hot food. Too much salt in a lot of things and sometimes huge calories in sandwiches so be careful.

If I have any type of kitchenette a slow cooker is better than a microwave. Just fill up it in the morning with fresh whatever you like, switch on and leave - takes 2 minutes. If you fancy a pint after work you'll still have a decent meal ready when you get in. If you don't have that luxury and don't have a microwave then make sure you eat well at lunchtime so you don't go hungry and I suggest decent quality french bread, pitta, hummous, salad pots, fresh fruit etc after the gym. Half a bottle of vino every now and again doesn't go amiss either.

Nothing is more morale sapping than being hungry and being in a strange town on your own so plan ahead.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    I've tried having my main meal at lunchtime in the works cafeteria but the problem is I'm always hungry again by the evening & a sandwich just doesn't do it for me. What worked for me was to have a big breakfast & then have something very light at lunchtime, like a salad & fruit, no bread or carbs of any kind. Then I could have a decent meal in the evening. I like to eat at night - gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I tend to avoid the hotel breakfast - usually by booking room only, however I do occasionally have one.

I just buy fruit and cheese and bread - or a sandwich or just have soup and a roll in the hotel for tea. Its not easy and you can eat a load of crap, just being bored and missing home can up your calorie intake

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I've not used a microwave to heat food in years. First it was because I did not have room for one after I moved house now that I do I find I don't need one. Anyone else like this?
    My last two spots had built in microwaves which were just the basic model, and I didn't have room for my fancy one with grill, so I sold it.

I've got used to doing without one as well, and it doesn't bother me.

Back to the OP's question. If works canteen, use that for lunch plus buy sandwiches / salad / fruit salad / yogurt for evening meal. Definitely skip the cooked breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Could do with some tips on trying to stay healthy when working away.....getting sick of microwavable meals and fast food.....
    Find your nearest Pizza Hut and just go for the salad option. Do not put too much dressing on it either. A relatively cheap healthy option.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I use it for the liver & fava beans.

Yum.
    I bet you drink "nice Chianti"?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I've not used a microwave to heat food in years. First it was because I did not have room for one after I moved house now that I do I find I don't need one. Anyone else like this?
    I do my porridge in it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Chicken shish is good fast food.

Contrary to popular belief the microwave can be the best way to cook some foods, Sainsburys do quite a good fresh ready meal range in a bowl shape that's both healthy and tasty.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Chicken shish is good fast food.

Contrary to popular belief the microwave can be the best way to cook some foods, Sainsburys do quite a good fresh ready meal range in a bowl shape that's both healthy and tasty.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'd use the canteen at work and not eat dinner at night, you don't need it if your sitting at a desk all day.

Find a nice swimming pool, not a public place, a spa of sorts and treat yourself for a mid-week night time diner afterwards.

Did this for about 6-8 weeks once, slept like a log a night without eating crap too.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Well its "easy" in principal... just don't eat tulip.......

However.... Cooked Brekkie every day...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Take Away every evening...... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry - not helping am I?
    I've been in a Hotel for most of the past few months............ my only saving grace is that the cooked breakfast is easily avoided (no real bacon or sausage).... but Restaurants every night is not "slimming"

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Jacket potato (microwaveable)
    Packet of salad leaves with smoked salmon bits
    Cous cous with some cooked chicken (you only need a kettle and some seasoning)
    Pre-made fruit salad?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X