• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to eat healthy when stuck in a b&b for the week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to avoid the hotel breakfast - usually by booking room only, however I do occasionally have one.

I just buy fruit and cheese and bread - or a sandwich or just have soup and a roll in the hotel for tea. Its not easy and you can eat a load of crap, just being bored and missing home can up your calorie intake
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I've tried having my main meal at lunchtime in the works cafeteria but the problem is I'm always hungry again by the evening & a sandwich just doesn't do it for me. What worked for me was to have a big breakfast & then have something very light at lunchtime, like a salad & fruit, no bread or carbs of any kind. Then I could have a decent meal in the evening. I like to eat at night - gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Comment

My 2p

Always get to a gym when staying away. As other posters have said it'll make you sleep and help regulate your appetite plus it makes sure that you don't pile on the pounds.

I never have a cooked breakfast when staying away for any length of time - it's a slippery slope. I try to have fresh fruit and yoghurt and toast or cereal for breakfast - probably at my desk. Lunchtime is probably the most difficult - if you have access to a microwave and fridge at work there's a whole load of healthy lunches available at the supermarkets that at a pinch will substitute for hot food. Too much salt in a lot of things and sometimes huge calories in sandwiches so be careful.

If I have any type of kitchenette a slow cooker is better than a microwave. Just fill up it in the morning with fresh whatever you like, switch on and leave - takes 2 minutes. If you fancy a pint after work you'll still have a decent meal ready when you get in. If you don't have that luxury and don't have a microwave then make sure you eat well at lunchtime so you don't go hungry and I suggest decent quality french bread, pitta, hummous, salad pots, fresh fruit etc after the gym. Half a bottle of vino every now and again doesn't go amiss either.

Nothing is more morale sapping than being hungry and being in a strange town on your own so plan ahead.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Slow cookers are great, fill the pan up with the ingredients and go off to work. By the time you get home all the veg is cooked and the main ingredients has either stopped swimming or dead and floating on top.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
            Could do with some tips on trying to stay healthy when working away.....getting sick of microwavable meals and fast food.....
            Buy and eat healthy food instead of unhealthy food. Any other major issues you're having problems with? How to cross a busy road? Cleaning up after a poo?

Comment

Originally posted by bingobob View Post
              Buy and eat healthy food instead of unhealthy food. Any other major issues you're having problems with? How to cross a busy road? Cleaning up after a poo?
              Conciliatory barstard!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
              X