• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "People behind me calling themselves ‘The A Team’"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Think they've been taking this a bit too seriously:

You called?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    There were a couple of girls at a London college who had had the football team and the rugby team, and were setting their sights on the cricket team.
    Yeah, that's the movie.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh dear. I’ve seen lots of puerile, macho madness in the IT business in my time, but this takes the biscuit. The gang of admins behind me are now calling themselves ‘The A Team’ and have just announced that they can solve any problem for anyone anytime, and they 'don't even need a black guy with a van’.
    Think they've been taking this a bit too seriously:

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Nobody ever names their software "Bag of old toss". Funny old thing, gives plenty of scope for morons (oxy or otherwise)
    I worked in the BAD team one one project. It was awful.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    And what do you think of a hooker having a rugby team?
    There were a couple of girls at a London college who had had the football team and the rugby team, and were setting their sights on the cricket team.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Do you want the title so you can Google it, or the URL so you can just click?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think it's stupid that Rugby teams have a Hooker

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    A law unto himself by the sound of it! I got on well with him, but I wasn't working directly on the systems.
    On a personal level I had no problems with him.... but "professionally" he was a PITA.....

He "objected" to what we were doing.... and cos he had been there longer than forever he moaned to the senior guys and got their backing.... particularly unofficially....
    We arranged a meeting to identify his "issues"......
    We addressed/resolved the "issues".....
    He came out with more....
    Credit where credit is due - he was persistent!!
    and the main problems weren't him "defending his patch" it was the fact that the Management "supported" us in public but undermined us in private and none of them had the balls to tell him to JFDI..........

Hey Ho..... Still paid the bills for a while!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Mr Lally hated me/us - because as OPAL Guru he was also Adabas/Natural Guru and had outrageous access (Admin level in Prod)
    A law unto himself by the sound of it! I got on well with him, but I wasn't working directly on the systems.

I forgot about Holborn, I worked there too, in HSS as it was then, putting together a Natural/Adabas/TableBase guide for the rest of the developers. What about Martin Willis, who was profoundly deaf but still a good PM?

Sorry, I'm going off topic.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 11 June 2010, 11:35.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Mr. T may be the most well known for his jewelry and accessories. He was always seem with a large number of gold necklaces on as well as rings, bracelets, etc. Few of us know that this style originated during his days as a bouncer. He would work at the club outside the door controlling who was allowed into the club and who wasn't. When patrons would leave jewelry at the club or take it off before a fight, or lose it in the fight, they were blacklisted from the club. Mr. T would stand outside wearing the discarded jewelry, so that if the owner happened to return, there was no need for him to reenter the club to claim his lost jewelry. Most often those who lost their jewelry there never returned for it, so he ended up with a lot of gold chains.
    Source: Mr T Costume Guide - Become Mister T in a Few Easy Steps

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    No comment on the topic, but this thread made me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Oh yes, the great Tom Lally. The company's OPAL Guru who somehow remained a contractor.
    Mr Lally hated me/us - because as OPAL Guru he was also Adabas/Natural Guru and had outrageous access (Admin level in Prod) and we were implementing ENDEVOR and (automated) controlled promotion.... which (obviously) didn't require anyone (even the great Tom Lally) to have Godlike authority even in Dev........
    Do you think he recognised this as good practice?
    Do you think he welcomed it with open arms?

Fraid the names don't ring any bells.....
    What about Malc ??? and Roy Young - Printing/CSF guys.... I remember them from "another large insurance type" company (that used to have a HQ just over/down the road from this one - in Holborn)

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Lock them all in the stationary cubboard and see if they can fashion a drawing pin firing tank out of post its and pens from the many varied contents. Obviously that wouldn't happen here as stationary is as rare as rocking horse poo!

I aint gettin in no cupboar sukka ggrrr

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    One large Insurance type company had a major system called OPAL - some bastardised acronym like Online Pensions And Life allegedly.

the nightly batch run on the system was called FRUIT........ I don't think anyone was sad enough to have invented a dodgy acronym - they just liked it!

Anyone from there who remembers me
    My favourite ever application name was a new reservation system Travel Inn introduced about 10 years ago, it was called BART:

Big Awesome Reservation Thingy

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I was in Euston...... plus many visits to Reading.......

<Drewster scratches head.......Thinks of some names....>
    Tom Lally??
    errrrr........
    Oh Tulip.... the brains are going soft........
    errrrr........
    Oh yes, the great Tom Lally. The company's OPAL Guru who somehow remained a contractor.

I was in Euston too, then Reading on the WOOFY project.

I remember loads of people, any of these ring a bell? At Euston I worked with Jill Hill, Steve Davis and Fergus McLaughlin. And a bloke called Terry Mason who made me laugh a lot, but sadly died not long after I left. At Reading Des Foster was my PM. He was an amusing bloke too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X