• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BT strike looms

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BT strike looms"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There are a good few other networks in and out of (and within) the UK, but they would come under increased load if BT's routes were down, which would snarl things up a bit. Also, UK ISPs might not have the necessary peering arrangements to be able to switch traffic to other networks in a hurry.
    A couple of war stories there.

1) the customer who deliberately signed up with two separate backbone providers only to find that come the crunch the providers had merged, rationalised their resources, and the customer actually had a single point of failure.

2) the customer who was doing time critical comms suddenly noticed a significant increase in round trip times. Oops a storm had brought down a bridge. They managed to survive this, but it had pushed the distance between data centres above the manufacturer's recommended (and officially supported) limit.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Sounds like someone ought to get some resilience in the suppliers of the internet backbone. Single point of failure and all that.
    There are a good few other networks in and out of (and within) the UK, but they would come under increased load if BT's routes were down, which would snarl things up a bit. Also, UK ISPs might not have the necessary peering arrangements to be able to switch traffic to other networks in a hurry.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Virgin Media, the way forward.

Cable to the door, not a BT line rental in sight.

Let me know if you need my details for a referral discount. :-)

I would happily use it but I live on a private road which was not dug up for cable.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Sounds like someone ought to get some resilience in the suppliers of the internet backbone. Single point of failure and all that.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I remember doing some traces to the US for some reason or other. From here in Europe about half the traces went through the UK, the rest direct from Amsterdam (?) to the US. Yep, it could have serious knock-on effects.
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    However, if BT's Colossus backbone goes down it would have a serious knock-on effect on the entire UK network as well as taking out a number of international links.
    I remember doing some traces to the US for some reason or other. From here in Europe about half the traces went through the UK, the rest direct from Amsterdam (?) to the US. Yep, it could have serious knock-on effects.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I heard chat that this might cause problems with internet, might just be saber rattling though.

However, if BT's Colossus backbone goes down it would have a serious knock-on effect on the entire UK network as well as taking out a number of international links.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied

Too right. Just hope it doesn't go wrong tho!

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I heard chat that this might cause problems with internet, might just be saber rattling though.
    Like I said, not good for the economy. A BT strike could have far worse consequences than your bins not getting emptied.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    But haven't a load of things like rubbish collection been farmed out to private companies?

Oh look. Public sector goes on strike, nobody notices inconvenienced, people notice this and wonder what the public sector actually does
    Public sector strikes are fine by me, they can take as much unpaid time off as they like

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    But haven't a load of things like rubbish collection been farmed out to private companies?

Oh look. Public sector goes on strike, nobody notices inconvenienced, people notice this and wonder what the public sector actually does
    The fkrs still have a public sector mentality.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Just wait until the public sector morons go out.

Rubbish in the streets, dead unburied.

It'll be like 1979 again.

Or deja vu.

Last edited by Sysman; 9 June 2010, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I've noticed very few competent BT engineers and very few folks in UK call centres.

Who are these people that the CWU represents? And will anyone notice if they go on strike?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X