• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rhubarb flowers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rhubarb flowers"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post

Does anyone else think the thread title sounds like a crossword clue?

Styx?
    Or, if the flowers need trimming, "Rhubarb flowers"

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    OK. I withdraw my accusation of trickery.
    Good to withdraw the accusation.

From now on I will always believe everything that Threaded says.
    No you are as trusting as I am.

I had to do a google search to see if he was telling the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Does anyone else think the thread title sounds like a crossword clue?

Styx?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    As someone points out here, unusual flowering can be a sign of stress "poor rooting, poor soil, dry soil, poor climate, overcrowding and so on". So maybe threaded hasn't been properly watering his rhubarbs.

A few years ago, after a hot dry summer, oak trees produced noticeably more acorns, the evolutionary principle being that when more likely flake out they should devote more effort to reproduction.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Did a google image search and rhubarb flowers do look like that.

Flowering Rhubarb
    OK. I withdraw my accusation of trickery.

From now on I will always believe everything that Threaded says.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    tsk

I have this nagging feeling that I should look closer at the picture. Is it me, or does it look like the flower stalks are attached to the rhubarb stalks with tape?
    Did a google image search and rhubarb flowers do look like that.

Flowering Rhubarb

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    tsk

I have this nagging feeling that I should look closer at the picture. Is it me, or does it look like the flower stalks are attached to the rhubarb stalks with tape?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    My parents always grew rhubarb and in the eighteen years that I lived with them I never saw a flower display once.

OK, for the first couple of years I wouldn't have noticed at all, so call that sixteen years that it didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Looks purty, must say i've seen a lot of Rhubard in my time but never noticed it flowering like your pics.

Word on the street though is you need to get rid of the flowers if you want a decent crop: Rhubarb Flower
    Last edited by Durbs; 5 June 2010, 07:42.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My wife asked our friend "why are those onions all covered in soil"... she thought they grew on trees

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I used to have some rhubarb in my garden. I loved it, cared for it, fed it (and made crumble out of it), but it never did that. The flowers look wrong though.

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    stupendous footage - congratulations

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Well I'm flummoxed! Never known of such a thing!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X