• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cumbrian gunman runs amok"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    "The wireless"?????

Showing your age Churchy!! You'll be telling us about your "Gramophone" next!!
    Steady on Grandad!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Oh, I only heard on the wireless this morning that he'd been left the guns by his father.

Thanks for the update.
    "The wireless"?????

Showing your age Churchy!! You'll be telling us about your "Gramophone" next!!

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    BBC News - Gun control and ownership laws in the UK

Even if you inherit, you may not receive the firearms unless you have a license. The firearms must go to a dealer and you can only have them if you successfully apply for a license yourself. With an FAC (firearms) that means good reason, i.e. a club member for over 6 months or land to shoot over.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    It was reported on the lunchtime news that he did, and had done for a number of years.
    Oh, I only heard on the wireless this morning that he'd been left the guns by his father.

Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I haven't read anywhere that he actually held a FAC.
    It was reported on the lunchtime news that he did, and had done for a number of years.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    So maybe we should only licence the loonies?

Seriously, these incidents happen so infrequently that I don't believe any changes are needed to the licencing system.
    I haven't read anywhere that he actually held a FAC.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The cases where umpteen innocent people are shot seem mostly to involve previously apparently harmless sorts with legal firearms.
    So maybe we should only licence the loonies?

Seriously, these incidents happen so infrequently that I don't believe any changes are needed to the licencing system.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Could you narrow it down a bit, that's 3/4 of CUK you've just described.
    Not to worry Dim, as you see, obviously he is still around.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Anyone here missing a sad loner with an obsession with guns and no girlfriend?
    Could you narrow it down a bit, that's 3/4 of CUK you've just described.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Anyone here missing a sad loner with an obsession with guns and no girlfriend?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yes, but is does seem, both here and in the US, that criminals use guns very sensibly. If they use them in robberies they do not generally shoot people, it's a business, so why up the consequences unecessarily? If gangs use them in the streets they mostly shoot each other so who cares?

The cases where umpteen innocent people are shot seem mostly to involve previously apparently harmless sorts with legal firearms.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    In that the average person lives in suburbia, living an supermarket fed existence, then yes I think you are correct.

People who live in rural communities who work & live on the land have a very different viewpoint. The fact you don't see it doesn't make it invalid.
    It won't be long before registered guns for civvie use must have an electronic lock incorporating a miniature mobile phone that broadcasts the weapon's location and can be remotely disabled by a phone call or if detected outside an authorized area.

Also, an electronic gadget could limit the rate of fire. I mean how many rabbits does one need to kill in an hour?

(Obviously that wouldn't stop crims using unregistered firearms. But it would hamper people who go postal with registered guns, and would reduce the incidence of registered firearm theft.)

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    There's a huge difference between killing for fun and killing for food.
    Sorry, clarification; sport = food but in a sporty way.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I don't think the average person has a desire to kill anything for fun, even when the law doesn't forbid it.
    In that the average person lives in suburbia, living an supermarket fed existence, then yes I think you are correct.

People who live in rural communities who work & live on the land have a very different viewpoint. The fact you don't see it doesn't make it invalid.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    You obviously don't live in a rural area (like I do) where killing animals for both food and sport is no big deal.
    There's a huge difference between killing for fun and killing for food.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X