• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Vegetarianism

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vegetarianism"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Originally posted by TimberWolf

Onions are poisonous to dogs. Perhaps the same applies to vegetarians.
    and piggies
    Not guinea pigs though - According to this, it cures their asthma.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Steak Tartare out of a plastic tub?

ClientCo's restaurant does tartare de cheval, but even if I'm so hungry I could eat a horse I'm not going to...
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It is very nice though.
    Champion the "Nice on bread" horse has a certain ring to it...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post

ClientCo's restaurant does tartare de cheval, but even if I'm so hungry I could eat a horse I'm not going to...
    It is very nice though.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I eat it. Lots of Indian cuisine is veggie.

Once I realised as a teenager that lots of people from India where veggie and they cooked yummy food I had no problems with veggies who aren't your PETA militants.

Plus the people I hang around with who are veggie don't do that. They always provide a meat option even if they don't actually cook it or won't touch it.
    Steak Tartare out of a plastic tub?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post

If you're a carnivore: how do you react when presented with vegetarian food?

I eat it. Lots of Indian cuisine is veggie.

Once I realised as a teenager that lots of people from India where veggie and they cooked yummy food I had no problems with veggies who aren't your PETA militants.

Plus the people I hang around with who are veggie don't do that. They always provide a meat option even if they don't actually cook it or won't touch it.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    and piggies
    Avocado is poisonous to most animals. Kills African species of Parrots within hours.

There's a theory that the avocado co-evolved with South American mega-fauna, and so to prevent other animals eating it developed a toxin that upset just about anything, but that the mega-fauna were not susceptible to.

I say, if that is the case then why not consider that it co-evolved with humans as they're not susceptible, but apparently the time scale isn't big enough.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    and piggies

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Is it true astronauts are forbidden from eating beans?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Onions and garlic are actually symbiotic organisms. There is a little creature, actually a type of earthworm that lives just under the bulb.
    The worm extracts nutrients from the soil for the onion/garlic and in return gets a sugary treat.
    Pulling up the onion or garlic results in the worm dying
    On the plus side, cooking spag bol gets a lot easier.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Huh?! Some of those are animal products, but what's the problem with onions and garlic?

(Apologies if anyone has already explained this.)

And mushrooms too.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Onions and garlic are actually symbiotic organisms. There is a little creature, actually a type of earthworm that lives just under the bulb.
    The worm extracts nutrients from the soil for the onion/garlic and in return gets a sugary treat.
    Sadly not, but definately funnier than my answer

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Almost, SC, almost...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Huh?! Some of those are animal products, but what's the problem with onions and garlic?

Strict Buddhists, Buddhists are vegetarian anyway, dont eat onions or garlic as they are classed as pungent foods that incite lust or rage when eaten.

The Surangama Sutra says: "All living creatures seek the 'three kinds of wisdom,' and should refrain from eating the 'five pungent.' These five pungent foods create lust when eaten cooked, and rage when eaten raw." It goes on to say that "Even if someone can recite twelve sutras from memory, the gods of the ten heavens will all disdain him if he eats pungent foods in this world, because of his strong odor and uncleanliness, and will give distance themselves far from him." This means that pungent foods arouse lust, and give one an explosive temper and one's body a bad odor. These foods are unclean, and if a person's body and mind are not clean, how can he succeed at purifying himself through Buddhism?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X