• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The official CUK World Cup commentary thread"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    The Times are offering a free £5 bet on England/USA to those without a Betfair account. Linky
    They're offering 3/1 on both teams and paired the draw a USA win.

Get your partner to sign up to cover both outcomes and its a free £15.

A few years back I went through all the online bookies using the introductory offers on each account, just never use them again and you'll be quids in.

There's a thread on moneysavingexpert about it, also free bingo if you can be bothered.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 12 June 2010, 13:52.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The Times are offering a free £5 bet on England/USA to those without a Betfair account. Linky

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well if you want to nit pick, then OK Capello's and Taylor's record were much the same over their first 21 matches.
    Taylor managing to win rather less.
    FTFY

You are a cup-half-empty kind of a guy, ain't ya sas?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Well if you want to nit pick, then OK Capello's and Taylor's record were much the same over their first 21 matches.
    Taylor managing to lose rather less.
    I'm just irritated by the way people are fawning over him as if he's a miracle worker.
    Point is he isn't and I think the spoilt chavs who make up the team will turn out the same mediocre performance in this competition as they have in the past.
    You can whip the flouncy old crocked nag and it will occasionally get up to a gallop, but take it to water and you can't force it to drink, as all you hopefuls will find out, probably as soon as Saturday

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    First 21 matches:

Capello W15 D2 L4
    Taylor W13 D7 L1

Point being that you can start good and still end up a turnip.
    I presume you "started good"?

Capello has already surpassed Taylor's achievements in competitive matches, to end up with a comparable record would require that we fail to win a group game at the world cup and fail to qualify for the next European Championships.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    In what way do you think Taylor's record is better than Capello's? Capello has more wins and if you work it out as points it comes to 47 vs 46.
    This is sasturnip we are talking about here bunk. He has to put the figures through one of his mystical computer modelling progs to be so disastrously out of synch with reality. You should see the comical conclusions he manages to come out with on AGW!! Comedy Gold!!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    So that would be something like.....Good, 1.............piss-poor, 18659 and counting then?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    First 21 matches:

Capello W15 D2 L4
    Taylor W13 D7 L1

In what way do you think Taylor's record is better than Capello's? Capello has more wins and if you work it out as points it comes to 47 vs 46.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    This doesn't bear scrutiny. Fabio Capello has a far better record in competitive matches.

Under Capello we've won 9 out of 10 world cup qualifying matches, scoring 34 goals and conceding 6 in the process.

In the first ten games that mattered (i.e. excluding the "challange cup" mini tournament & friendlies) England under Graham Taylor won 3, lost 1 and drew 6.

During the qualifying campaign for 1994 world cup under Graham Taylor we won 5, drew 3 and lost 2, scoring 26 goals and letting in 9.

In total, during Taylor's 19 competitive games in charge, we won 8, lost 3, scored 34 goals, conceded 14, failed to win a single game at Euro 92 and failed to qualify for the 1994 world cup.

Data Source: England Football Team - News, Fixtures, Results, History, Shirts & Tickets

First 21 matches:

Capello W15 D2 L4
    Taylor W13 D7 L1

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    1. The comparison with Turniphead is relevant as everyone seems to think Capello is God. It is instructive to note his record to date is worse than someone who is considered one of the worst managers.
    This doesn't bear scrutiny. Fabio Capello has a far better record in competitive matches.

Under Capello we've won 9 out of 10 world cup qualifying matches, scoring 34 goals and conceding 6 in the process.

In the first ten games that mattered (i.e. excluding the "challange cup" mini tournament & friendlies) England under Graham Taylor won 3, lost 1 and drew 6.

During the qualifying campaign for 1994 world cup under Graham Taylor we won 5, drew 3 and lost 2, scoring 26 goals and letting in 9.

In total, during Taylor's 19 competitive games in charge, we won 8, lost 3, scored 34 goals, conceded 14, failed to win a single game at Euro 92 and failed to qualify for the 1994 world cup.

Data Source: England Football Team - News, Fixtures, Results, History, Shirts & Tickets

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Everyone? Linky??

Reading any of the pressyou'd think Caps was the new messiah rather than a succesful club manager who's never managed a national side(I think ?)

Well sometimes they DO beat those sorts of teams in friendlies. Hence the tag "meaningless", because it is no indication of what will happen when the chips are down. And you are being a bit harsh............generally the "freezing" does not kick in until the Penalties stage.

I was thinking 2002 against a 10 man Brazil, when they lay down and died in the 2nd half

I doubt it is an aspiration, but a realistic assessment, yes.

QF are their level, I agree

That depends on your nationality. If you belong to one of the larger nations that traditionally get their ranking artificially hiked to ease their passage to the Finals, then they are fine. FIFA and the TV companies are happy as their earning potential goes up. It is only the smaller nations that are unfairly penalised, but when did that ever bother anyone?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That is a big big blow for England, you are down to, maybe, 4 world class players in your team now, Gerrard, Rooney, Cole and (being generous) that twunt Terry. It is not enough to take you far.

I now forecast a scrapping through the group stages and a finding out in the knockouts from an average team.
    I would include Lampard and both Coles in that list.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    1. The comparison with Turniphead is relevant as everyone seems to think Capello is God. It is instructive to note his record to date is worse than someone who is considered one of the worst managers.
    Everyone? Linky??

2. Brazil and Spain are precisely the kind of countries that England should be able to beat in "meaningless friendlies"; because this collection of spineless chavs have a tendency to freeze and bottle it in real competition.
    Well sometimes they DO beat those sorts of teams in friendlies. Hence the tag "meaningless", because it is no indication of what will happen when the chips are down. And you are being a bit harsh............generally the "freezing" does not kick in until the Penalties stage.

3. At least we agree that reaching the quarters would be a reasonable aspiration.
    I doubt it is an aspiration, but a realistic assessment, yes.

PS Everyone knows FIFA rankings are pish
    That depends on your nationality. If you belong to one of the larger nations that traditionally get their ranking artificially hiked to ease their passage to the Finals, then they are fine. FIFA and the TV companies are happy as their earning potential goes up. It is only the smaller nations that are unfairly penalised, but when did that ever bother anyone?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Shome pish, surely

2. Brazil and Spain are precisely the kind of countries that England should be able to beat in "meaningless friendlies"; because this collection of spineless chavs have a tendency to freeze and bottle it in real competition.

3. At least we agree that reaching the quarters would be a reasonable aspiration.

PS Everyone knows FIFA rankings are pish

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Your ability to quote facts is matched only by my inability to find any insights in the sea of relevant information you put forward
    FTFY

Which part of Graham Taylor's record is better than Capello's at this stage did you not understand?
    Which is relevant in what way?

And which part of England have not beaten a big team under his reign do you disagree with?

Depends what you class as "big" teams. If we say the top couple of dozen teams in the FIFA rankings are "big", then his record is pretty reasonable.............I have put the opponents FIFA rankings in brackets, in case you have mislaid your copy of the Sun, from which you doubtless garner your footballing opinions.

6/2/08
    England 2 Switzerland(24) 1

28/5/08
    England 2 USA(14) 0

10/9/08
    Croatia(10) 1 England 4

19/11/08
    Germany(6) 1 England 2

1/4/09
    England 2 Ukraine(23) 1

9/9/9
    England 5 Croatia(10) 1

24/5/10
    England 3 Mexico(17) 1

England also drew with Holland (currently ranked 4th in the world)
    They lost 2-0 away to Spain and narrowly 1-0 to Brazil, both in meaningless friendlies. Outside of that they have not actually played any other "BIG" teams. Only 4 defeats out of 24 matches for Capello. Pretty reasonable stuff really, although YOU obviously know better.

I suppose you're part of that fantasy group taht sees Capello as the saviour that will win England the World cup.
    Well if your attention deficit syndrome had not kicked in before you read all of my initial post, you would have seen that I forecast England to possibly reach the semis, but more likely fall in the quarters. Still, staying focused never was a strength of yours. Not that surprising really given your inherent intellectual shortcomings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X