• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Donating your body to medical science?"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Same here. The health system in Holland won’t use my organs for transplant as I lived in the UK for several years while the BSE problem was at its peak. So, instead, I’ve made it clear that my body should be used for science; seeing as I have my life and my wealth thanks to science and I get so much enjoyment from reading about science it seems to be the least I could do; it’s not as if I’ll need my body when I’m dead.
    Same here in Denmark. If you've lived in the UK for more than a few weeks you're not allowed to give blood or donate organs.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    All to do with preserving the viability of the organs while the body is still artificially kept alive, I think, before harvesting?

It should be mandatory for all IMO, with the option to de-register for those who wish to.
    You need to be on a ventilator at the time of death or at the time when it is decided that ongoing treatment is no longer in your best interest (i.e. it is futile). Problem with mandatory (opt-out) is that you need the co-operation of the next of kin in order to get a detailed social history to ascertain any risky behaviour (sexual or drug) that might present a risk to potential organ recipients.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Yes I will. I've talked to the family and made my wishes clear, and I think I've talked my mother in to donation.
    Same here. The health system in Holland won’t use my organs for transplant as I lived in the UK for several years while the BSE problem was at its peak. So, instead, I’ve made it clear that my body should be used for science; seeing as I have my life and my wealth thanks to science and I get so much enjoyment from reading about science it seems to be the least I could do; it’s not as if I’ll need my body when I’m dead.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Chicken..............apparently!

HTH

What, the old "long pig" you mean? Pork, I would have said. I mean, read. Somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Very few people get to be organ donors. You have to die in Intensive Care or possible A & E. You can always give any bits they don't use for research.
    All to do with preserving the viability of the organs while the body is still artificially kept alive, I think, before harvesting?

It should be mandatory for all IMO, with the option to de-register for those who wish to.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Seems you can't donate your body if you are already donating your organs - seems a bit daft that. There must still be bits that they could practice on.
    Very few people get to be organ donors. You have to die in Intensive Care or possible A & E. You can always give any bits they don't use for research.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Brother is a doc, he says it's standard practice to wheel out the dead bodies in the first week or so to wake a few students up who are there because they like the 'idea' of being a Dr but haven't grasped the reality. Often clears a few out and it's not too late to draft in others.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    But you should!

You'd be a good example for them to learn just how much human skin can stretch.
    F**k's sake! You should have a look in the mirror, fat bastard! Can you still bend light?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'm not planning on dying so they're having f**k all!
    But you should!

You'd be a good example for them to learn just how much human skin can stretch.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I'm not planning on dying so they're having f**k all!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    and given the one I know said to the chap beside him something about wondering what 'it' would taste like
    Chicken..............apparently!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    There is such a shortage med students do not get to cut up cadavers they only get to observe, and given the one I know said to the chap beside him something about wondering what 'it' would taste like, maybe that is not such a bad thing.

med students

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I doubt they would do that with donated bodies have they have enough problem in the UK getting people donate as it is. Remember all the scandals with dead children's body parts not being returned?
    Yes, but the scandal there was over the fact that bits of children were removed and retained without the consent (or knowledge) of the parents. When you hand your body over to be used for medical research, you sign away all rights in it, so they can do anything they like really, as long as it is for the purposes of legitimate research, which is the case for all of the examples Roach gives (she visited the researchers and watched their experiments, too).

I was told that my more than one source including people whose grandparents donate their bodies, that after a year the body bits where buried.
    I believe they usually cremate the bits nowadays, or at least what's left.

Personally I don't know what use your body is when you dead so I've been on a registered organ donor since I can remember.
    Remember that, if it turns out your organs are not suitable for donation - hopefully because you've lived to such a ripe old age that they're no good to anyone else - you have to specify it separately if you want them to use your body for scientific/educational purposes instead.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Personally I don't know what use your body is when you dead so I've been on a registered organ donor since I can remember.
    WSES++

When I go they can do what they like with my remains, from medical research, hanging me up in the garden for the birds to peck, or using my arse for a bikestand.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I doubt they would do that with donated bodies have they have enough problem in the UK getting people donate as it is. Remember all the scandals with dead children's body parts not being returned?

I was told that my more than one source including people whose grandparents donate their bodies, that after a year the body bits where buried.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X