• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Check point charlie"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I've also never been a big fan of Berlin either, some of the people are very pretentious but there are some very interesting things about it. A while ago I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Berlin Mitte, originally in the East, which is a very mixed area. The hotel is actually owned by the bloke who owns the Babelsberg film studios so its full of film props. Just up the road as you come to the U-Bahn there is a currywurst stand which is always on TV as it reputedly the best one in Germany. But before you get to the U-bahn, just over the road there is a small building which has iron gates on it. This is the entrance to some of the tunnels below Berlin. They date back over 150 years and they're still finding new ones. A lot of it was a pneumatic dispatch system, some was used during the war and some was railway. Quite interesting.

The first time I went to Berlin was just after the wall came down when I met up with a load of old German punks from Kreuzberg where they taught me the art of 'chugging.' We bought 48 cans of cheap beer and sat on the top of a double decker slamming them and drinking them down in one, pretty crap really. The Zoobahnhof was interesting because everything was in German and Russian and it still acted as if it was back in the Iron Curtain days. If you like Jazz then go to Quasimodos, saw a great gig there with Fred Frith and if you like transvestites try the KitaKatClub.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Don't take this the wrong way but I think Berlin is a great city for the younger crowd. Top nightclubs, big arty community, very trendy (and a bit pretentious). Probably not things you look for in a city.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Never really got Berlin, just not the place for me really, never thought that the area round Check Point Charlie there was that bad though but then I do live in Glasgow.
    I'm no getting it either if I'm honest, it's dark history is everywhere you look. However the people make up for it they're very nice and approachable, I'm glad I'm here I'm glad I'm exposing myself to Berlin's history otherwise I may never have understood what really happened here.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Never really got Berlin, just not the place for me really, never thought that the area round Check Point Charlie there was that bad though but then I do live in Glasgow.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Nice crop/cut job on your Brian avatar Scooterscot, which version of MS Paint did you use?

I used the Gimp of course... powerful and straightforward

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    There was a lot of roadworks around Gendarmenmarkt when I was last there. Kind of spoils the place a bit when there's metal fences all round the square

Here's what it looks like this evening

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Yeah its pretty crap and run down but go round the corner to the Gendarmentmarkt where theres a lot of nice food places and bars. Have you tried Berliner Weissbier with a 'schuss' yet?
    There was a lot of roadworks around Gendarmenmarkt when I was last there. Kind of spoils the place a bit when there's metal fences all round the square

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Yeah its pretty crap and run down but go round the corner to the Gendarmentmarkt where theres a lot of nice food places and bars. Have you tried Berliner Weissbier with a 'schuss' yet?

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Nice crop/cut job on your Brian avatar Scooterscot, which version of MS Paint did you use?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Glesga
    Nedsville...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Glasgae...
    Glesga

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Some bits are rough, but there's some nice houses, and they've thrown up a few nice hotels in East Berlin in the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    It was more fun when they had real guns...
    Them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them watching us watching them...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    It was more fun when they had real guns...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    started a topic Check point charlie

Check point charlie

It's like not how I thought it would be - feels like I've strayed into the east end of Glasgae...

Working...
X