• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Picasso

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Picasso"

Collapse

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its the shoes?

You liked the little doggy?

No wedding ring?

Go on tell us
    All of the above

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Et in Arcadia Ego

I like this one...

The Shepherds of Arcadia

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Its the shoes?

You liked the little doggy?

No wedding ring?

Go on tell us

This is incredible in the flesh so to speak. Photo does not do it justice.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...re/custom1.jpg

This is one of my favourites, spooky yet uplifting

http://www.aaronartprints.org/images/Paintings/4411.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    origin of species
    Close but's its more to do with the change in how humanity is viewed once the bible story no longer holds up. It's actually about religous doubt and the brevity and insignificance of human life. The comet is the brief flash across the sky whilst the fossils and rock statra are the immensity of time.

Interestingly enough the publication of the Origin of the Species wasn't as controversial as some modern commentators would have use believe. A lot of people were coming to the same conclusion from different angles and one of them was the fossil link. The church view was that fossils were animals that hadn't made it into the Ark and drowned in the ensuing flood. This was contested though when a full fossil of a dinosaur version of a dolphin was found; why would it drown in a world of water?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Pegwell Bay, Kent - a Recollection of October 5th 1858 by William Dyce :: artmagick.com

What do you make of this ? A lifelike painting but has a deep meaning and is very relevant to it's time. It was painted in 1859, something very significant happened that year.

Yes you can google, but just have a think. As the painting is small here are some clues.

1. They are collecting fossils ( Pegwell beach in dorset was famous for them)
    2. There is a passing comet in the sky.
    3. You are meant to notice the many stratas in the rock.

Now you couldn't get this in a photo especially the mechanoly.
    origin of species

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Pegwell Bay, Kent - a Recollection of October 5th 1858 by William Dyce :: artmagick.com

What do you make of this ? A lifelike painting but has a deep meaning and is very relevant to it's time. It was painted in 1859, something very significant happened that year.

Yes you can google, but just have a think. As the painting is small here are some clues.

1. They are collecting fossils ( Pegwell beach in dorset was famous for them)
    2. There is a passing comet in the sky.
    3. You are meant to notice the many stratas in the rock.

Now you couldn't get this in a photo especially the mechanoly.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    Bah! I've chucked up better than that.....
    How do you define 'better'?

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Bah! I've chucked up better than that.....

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Recently went to an exhibition of photorealism. Impressive stuff, if a little pointless (IMO).

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Yep, v good indeed. Trouble is, since the development of cameras, paintings that visually resemble the subject perhaps don’t really serve a purpose; you may as well take a photo.
    Nope, a photo will give you precisely what you are looking at, a painting gives you what the painter is trying to tell you and an emotion that can't be captured in the immediacy of a photo.

The avant garde weren't trying to paint photo realistic paintings they were trying to convey emotion in a different way. Infact they were heavily influenced by african art and its primivtive truthfulness although in an idealised form. What is interesting is the avant gardes almost complete avoidance of the Benin Bronzes which were actually too aesthetic for their tastes.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    If thats all you can see, I won't bother explaining what I do see. Not sure you'd get it.
    Oh, go on . Although I was being silly, I was sincere in wanting to learn why you find the picture so interesting.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Wot? Studied art history and never been to Madrid?

Go! And give yourself plenty of time to see the Reina Sofia museum.

There are plenty of excellent sausage and ham bars to keep Mr CM happy too!
    I know - I chose Paris over Madrid but it was still a great trip.

Sausage & Ham Bars - right up his street

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    So what do you see/like in that picture?

I see a fat bird, potentially pregnant from under age se*, standing next to some camp weirdo who probably was bad bad man and gave young girl good rogering.
    If thats all you can see, I won't bother explaining what I do see. Not sure you'd get it.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    http://openreflections.files.wordpre...i-marriage.jpg

This is my fave - I did Art History for A Level and spent hours pouring over prints of it

Also a big fan of Mainie Jellett, could get lost in some of her's
    So what do you see/like in that picture?

I see a fat bird, potentially pregnant from under age se*, standing next to some camp weirdo who probably was bad bad man and gave young girl good rogering.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Wot? Studied art history and never been to Madrid?

Go! And give yourself plenty of time to see the Reina Sofia museum.

There are plenty of excellent sausage and ham bars to keep Mr CM happy too!
    You know something? I really like you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X