• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If I could turn back time"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Nah, we didn't actually look through a telescope. We looked at glass negatives through a microscope and then used an inch-thick book of 6-figure tables to work out some interesting pieces of spherical trigonometry relating to those fuzzy black spots on the glass.

And then read the Astronomical Ephemeris for relaxation.
    Digging through RT data looking for patterns.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I think photojournalism has pretty much evaporated as a career. Everybody has a foolproof camera and they're all pleased to give away their photos for free. No more payments for sending a pic to the paper, far less the BBC, who can pay with a credit of need be. And stock photography is 25p a photo if you're lucky. Of course there are still pros but I suspect the career path is harder.

As for wedding stuff, do you really want to get involved in that? Endless aggro from a bunch of drunken bums who have not bought into your project in the first place but are friends of the paying customer. And other friends of the customer will faff about with their cameras and then spend 3 hours in Photoshop removing extraneous detail from one photo, and the customer will wonder why the Pro couldn't produce a result like that. Useless to tell her that you could, but 3 hours of your time costs a bit.
    Aye, pretty much true.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I mostly used a telescope
    Nah, we didn't actually look through a telescope. We looked at glass negatives through a microscope and then used an inch-thick book of 6-figure tables to work out some interesting pieces of spherical trigonometry relating to those fuzzy black spots on the glass.

And then read the Astronomical Ephemeris for relaxation.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I didnt realise there was so much money in it!

Is she still turning $5 dollar tricks in Glasgow or has she moved on to table dancing yet?
    Five dollars? In Glasgow?

Oh ye cannae spend a dollar when ye're deid,
    Oh ye

.... oh ****, nobody else will recognise it. I'm more out of my time and space than the Doctor.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Astonomer. At 10 I was all for it.

At 11 in first year physics I realised I was too thick to understand levers and see-saws and stuff.

One of the biggest disappointments of my life...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Work is so unimportant to me it just does not have enough meaning to have any regrets in it, I do feel privileged to earn more than anyone I know outside the industry though (bar the missus) . Considering how little effort I put into the job I am 110% happy with my lot.
    I didnt realise there was so much money in it!

Is she still turning $5 dollar tricks in Glasgow or has she moved on to table dancing yet?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Work is so unimportant to me it just does not have enough meaning to have any regrets in it, I do feel privileged to earn more than anyone I know outside the industry though (bar the missus) . Considering how little effort I put into the job I am 110% happy with my lot.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    They had no use for a slide rule when I did astronomy. You only get 3 sig figs from that, we used 6-figure log tables.
    I mostly used a telescope

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I can still use a slide rule. If you need anyone who knows orbital mechanics...
    They had no use for a slide rule when I did astronomy. You only get 3 sig figs from that, we used 6-figure log tables.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bassy View Post
    I wanted to be a photojournalist - got a place at uni to do a photojournalism degree but everyone wanted me to do a "proper" degree - I gave in, did Biology and never touched it after leaving Uni and just fell accidently into IT after doing some IT support whilst in my last year at Uni (was supposed to be doing secretarial temping and journalism during hols). Have though for the last 6 months been thinking of jumping back to the photography - not doing photojournalism though but weddings and studio stuff.
    I think photojournalism has pretty much evaporated as a career. Everybody has a foolproof camera and they're all pleased to give away their photos for free. No more payments for sending a pic to the paper, far less the BBC, who can pay with a credit of need be. And stock photography is 25p a photo if you're lucky. Of course there are still pros but I suspect the career path is harder.

As for wedding stuff, do you really want to get involved in that? Endless aggro from a bunch of drunken bums who have not bought into your project in the first place but are friends of the paying customer. And other friends of the customer will faff about with their cameras and then spend 3 hours in Photoshop removing extraneous detail from one photo, and the customer will wonder why the Pro couldn't produce a result like that. Useless to tell her that you could, but 3 hours of your time costs a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I've just taken on a guy finishing his PhD in Astronomy. They learn some very useful skills for my line of work.
    I can still use a slide rule. If you need anyone who knows orbital mechanics...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Can't say my degree in astronomy was a waste of time but I never worked as an astronomer. Got sidetracked into the scientific civil service and thence to IT. Always wanted to do geology though but too late to do anything about it now.
    I've just taken on a guy finishing his PhD in Astronomy. They learn some very useful skills for my line of work.

Leave a comment:

• bassy
    replied
    I wanted to be a photojournalist - got a place at uni to do a photojournalism degree but everyone wanted me to do a "proper" degree - I gave in, did Biology and never touched it after leaving Uni and just fell accidently into IT after doing some IT support whilst in my last year at Uni (was supposed to be doing secretarial temping and journalism during hols). Have though for the last 6 months been thinking of jumping back to the photography - not doing photojournalism though but weddings and studio stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    I would definitely do something else. Dunno what though......
    What area of work are you in at the moment?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Astronomer. Choose Mathematics over Astronomy at uni cos i thought it had better job prospects. Graduated into recession anyway. Still look into space a lot though.
    Can't say my degree in astronomy was a waste of time but I never worked as an astronomer. Got sidetracked into the scientific civil service and thence to IT. Always wanted to do geology though but too late to do anything about it now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X