• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Caught by Mobile Speed Cameras"

Collapse

• Alf W
    replied
    Some forces just don't offer speed awareness courses (South Wales Heddlu for example).

Usually the registered owner has to confirm who was driving which leaves it open to abuse from people nominating someone 'appropriate'. If you do get someone to take the rap and they go on a SAC then FFS don't let plod find out or they'll throw the book at both of you.

Leave a comment:

• Slumdog
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies.

So if they dont offer the course does that mean i have to take the points and fine. I was wondering whether I should give them a call to see if they let me on the course.

What do you think?(It's worth a try!)

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    When did the offence occur? They have to contact you within 14 days.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There are only “guidelines” for speed camera enforcement. The guidelines state that the police should have a sign before the camera (200 meters?) and another on the police vehicle. The camer should not be hidden. In reality, the guidelines are ignored and the police just do what they want. I have seen the police using civil vans, horseboxes and caravans for hiding cameras. I saw two last weeks within a few miles of each other hidden in the trees and bushes.

I have never encountered such stealth camera placings. My Sat Nav warns me of speed camera if I am approaching one.

I have quite often seen a speed camera warning and a big camera by the side of the road, cut my speed down to the limit, but then seen a BMW/Corsa prat just speed past at twice the speed. I always pray that they get hit with a massive fine and a ban.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    In the UK, don't they have to warn you of cameras? e.g don't mobile cameras have to be on road stretches signed with speed camera warnings?
    There are only “guidelines” for speed camera enforcement. The guidelines state that the police should have a sign before the camera (200 meters?) and another on the police vehicle. The camer should not be hidden. In reality, the guidelines are ignored and the police just do what they want. I have seen the police using civil vans, horseboxes and caravans for hiding cameras. I saw two last weeks within a few miles of each other hidden in the trees and bushes.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
    I hope this is possible. Was doing 47 in a 40
    It will vary from force to force. Some county police will offer the course from (10% +1) over up to (10% +4). You are certainly pushing the upper limit though....!!

There are no guidelines or standards. Each force can decide individually what offences will receive a course offer vs what will be fixed penalties and points. There are only requirements on the course content.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Although most courses are during office hours, so it's billable time, which can mean many times more than the cost of the fine.
    Not true. There are evening courses but these are the most popular so book early! (A previous client ran these courses!) It will vary according to the Police force where the alleged incident occurred as not all forces get their courses from one provider.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    When I was caught by one the courses were only available for people breaking 30 limits.
    The scheme has been rolled out by more forces and updated so now they offer it for different speed limits. It depends on the Police force where the offence occurred.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    In the UK, don't they have to warn you of cameras? e.g don't mobile cameras have to be on road stretches signed with speed camera warnings?
    And they get around it by putting up permanent speed camera signs everywhere, whether there are cameras or not.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by lje View Post
    How much too fast were you going? If it's 10 miles per hour too much (or less) than you may be able to attend a speed awareness course instead of getting points - the course is the same price as the fine.
    Although most courses are during office hours, so it's billable time, which can mean many times more than the cost of the fine.

Still it avoid the points - and I think you don't even get a conviction registered.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Only if they want to claim back the costs of the scheme - it has zero bearing on the validity of their prosecution of the motoring offence.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Pay the fine and pay a skint student to take your points.

HTH
    but that's illegal

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Received a fixed penalty notice for through the post for speeding after being caught by one of these mobile speed camera van thingys.

Does anyone know any ways out of having to pay the fine and also stopping the points?
    Pay the fine and pay a skint student to take your points.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    Received a fixed penalty notice for through the post for speeding after being caught by one of these mobile speed camera van thingys.

Does anyone know any ways out of having to pay the fine and also stopping the points?

You state and admit you were overspeeding, pay the fine and eat the points. In future, dont go over the speed limit.

BTW mods the new forum design sucks balls big. I hate forums with small text size, too many icons and light grey color schemes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X