• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK inflation rate rises to 3.4%"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    INFLATION NATION UK

Per cent increase over the last year

Petrol & diesel 24.6
    Air fares 10.8
    Second-hand cars 15.7
    New cars 5.2
    Gardens, plants & flowers 6.1
    Package holidays 6
    Health insurance 10
    Cars & holiday insurance 21.3
    Fruit 8.6
    Heating oil 43.5
    Rail tickets 8.3
    Stamps & postal services 9.6
    Coffee, tea and cocoa 6.6
    Tobacco 6.5
    Stationery & drawing materials 7.4
    Jewellery, clocks & watches 5.3
    So..............3.4% it is then.........following the NL seasonal adjustments!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    INFLATION NATION UK

Per cent increase over the last year

Petrol & diesel 24.6
    Air fares 10.8
    Second-hand cars 15.7
    New cars 5.2
    Gardens, plants & flowers 6.1
    Package holidays 6
    Health insurance 10
    Cars & holiday insurance 21.3
    Fruit 8.6
    Heating oil 43.5
    Rail tickets 8.3
    Stamps & postal services 9.6
    Coffee, tea and cocoa 6.6
    Tobacco 6.5
    Stationery & drawing materials 7.4
    Jewellery, clocks & watches 5.3

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    don't forget the sterling (haha) performance of GBP!

inflation +3.4%, savings at 1% = -2.4% + currency going down at 10% a year.
    And that the real rate of inflation is probably closer to double the official rate. And what about time lag, is that built in to them, i.e. with inflation reported some time after the event and index linked certificates indices updated later still.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    don't forget the sterling (haha) performance of GBP!

inflation +3.4%, savings at 1% = -2.4% + currency going down at 10% a year.

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied

Well I'm pleased that inflation is going up. Got lots of my savings in Savings Certificates from NS&I which earn RPI + 1%, so 5.4% right now (and tax free too)!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    But if interest rates are 10% and inflation is 20% then in only three years you lose a quarter of the real value of your money and in eight years you lose half.
    But those managing on loans will be double-screwed, and the savers 'win'.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If interest rates AND inflation both jump up to about 15% then those with savings will finally be the ones who win, rather than suffering while those in debt are looked after.
    But if interest rates are 10% and inflation is 20% then in only three years you lose a quarter of the real value of your money and in eight years you lose half.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    So, I choose not to lend you a tenner. Simples.
    That's what a lot of savers are choosing to do, by buy buying assets, gold etc. Money in the bank is money lost. It's a new economic paradigm where savers pay borrowers.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Lend me a tenner and I'll pay you back £9 in real terms. Good deal for you eh.
    So, I choose not to lend you a tenner. Simples.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Quite so. And in return, the 'lending savers' take no risk. Yet they whine when they make a small return. When they DO take some risk (e.g. Icesave) they whine when they lose their money, so much so that the govt bails them out.
    Lend me a tenner and I'll pay you back £9 in real terms. Good deal for you eh.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    'Savers' are actually 'lenders'. They lend their money to the bank, who then lend it on at a rate of interest, keep a margin for themselves and then hand some interest to those who have lent them money, 'savers'.
    Quite so. And in return, the 'lending savers' take no risk. Yet they whine when they make a small return. When they DO take some risk (e.g. Icesave) they whine when they lose their money, so much so that the govt bails them out.

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    In practice, the bankers take the money and put it in a system with all the clarity and reliability of mystic meg, buy a couple of ferraris and then lose all the money and ask Gordon for some more.
    Nicely put!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I'm genuinely baffled by the assumption that "savers" are somehow entitled to earn money on their savings. If you don't like the rate you're being offered, go elsewhere.
    'Savers' are actually 'lenders'. They lend their money to the bank, who then lend it on at a rate of interest, keep a margin for themselves and then hand some interest to those who have lent them money, 'savers'.

At least, that's the theory. In practice, the bankers take the money and put it in a system with all the clarity and reliability of mystic meg, buy a couple of ferraris and then lose all the money and ask Gordon for some more.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If interest rates AND inflation both jump up to about 15% then those with savings will finally be the ones who win, rather than suffering while those in debt are looked after.
    I'm genuinely baffled by the assumption that "savers" are somehow entitled to earn money on their savings. If you don't like the rate you're being offered, go elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    It is more significant that it looks like the BofE Governor is being allowed to prioritise the stimulus over the inflation target.

It will end in tears.

Inflation was incredibly destructive during the seventies and eighties and getting it under control was incredibly painful but it looks like that lesson has finally been forgotten.

On the other hand, inflating the national debt away will destroy all our savings but it will mean our children and grandchildren will not have that millstone hanging around their necks.
    anything worth inheriting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X