• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do programmers make crap liars?"

Collapse

• Bunk
    replied
    The cake is a lie.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Programmers tend to be black and white with no nuance or shades of grey.
    That makes them crap at human relationships and therefore very few rise to positions of power in the industry whereby they may improve it.
    The resultant vacuum at the top is filled by people with better "human" skills but little technical knowledge who then cock up big projects.
    And so the cycle continues.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Learn to ask the right questions - some developers can be devious bastards!
    For example:
    RelMan: You are not trying to pass this pile of steaming tulip as being "Tested" are you?
    DBD: <visible wince and slight twitch> It. has. undergone. a. full. regression. test. and. no. defects. are. outstanding.
    RelMan: Bollox
    DBD: <visible wince and slight twitch> It. has. undergone. a. full. regression. test. and. no. defects. are. outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    When I was a PM in a previous life before getting back to what I love, the developing, many a time I heard programmers tell me that everything was working and UAT/regression tests passed etc....

Lying bar stewards!!

So I think programmers must have a natural propencity for throwing some large untruths around.
    Learn to ask the right questions - some developers can be devious bastards!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    When I was a PM in a previous life before getting back to what I love, the developing, many a time I heard programmers tell me that everything was working and UAT/regression tests passed etc....

Lying bar stewards!!

So I think programmers must have a natural propencity for throwing some large untruths around.
    The better they are, the less fibs they (need to) tell though.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied

Lying bar stewards!!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Most of us have a personal life quite distinct from our ptofessional life, (the occasional glimpses on here are often fascinating), so I don't see why not.

But in our professional life it is true that, unlike many people's professional lives, there is such a thing as objective truth and it cannot be BS'ed away.

I think that's why accountants can sometimes make good users: they live in the same professional world, where if it's wrong it's wrong, no two ways about it.

That scientific nature of it is one of the things I like about computers. Sometimes it is possible to win an argument just by being right.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Be true to the cod
    Carp code?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Lying, deceit and self-deception makes crap code.
    Be true to the cod

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    yes it does
    Lying, deceit and self-deception makes crap code.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Why assume that lying is mutually exclusive to being able to program?

Lying requires inventiveness, a good memory, quick thinking and the ability to create a plausible narrative without breaking into a sweat.
    Sounds more like project management to me.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Programming doesn't though.
    yes it does

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Lying requires inventiveness, a good memory, quick thinking and the ability to create a plausible narrative without breaking into a sweat.
    Programming doesn't though.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    FTFY
    How very dare you

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Lying, deceit, self deception and other human conditions don't help get working programs written and might even be a hindrance to producing bullet-proof code. Does this mean good programmers make crap liars? Or would they employ
    a split personality and turn off the lying scheming one for work purposes?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X