• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "British Summer Time"

Collapse

• Masher
    replied
    I changed all my clocks. It cost a fortune. I'm going to see if I can just swap with the neighbours next tme.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Yeah. Why don't they farm something that grows in the dark?
    Raspberries. Don't need much light, don't mind the wet. Most British rasps are Scottish.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    YES! That’s why they should have a different time system in Scotland. Dark o’clock, light o’clock, fog o’clock, rain o’clock, Deep fried Mars bar o'clock and quarter to Rangers Vs Celtic!

For you that was

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Rhubarb

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Does changing the clocks actually decrease the number of daylight hours in Scotland? Well I never...
    Jock farmers think so, and that's what matters.

I heard it had something to do with children going to school in the dark rush-hour as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Does changing the clocks actually decrease the number of daylight hours in Scotland? Well I never...
    YES! That’s why they should have a different time system in Scotland. Dark o’clock, light o’clock, fog o’clock, rain o’clock, Deep fried Mars bar o'clock and quarter to Rangers Vs Celtic!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Mushrooms.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    And there's me thinking it was done just to annoy the jock farmers, why they don't just get up an hour later instead of playing the victim yet again is anyones guess?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    WWI invention to save coal (effectively getting people to bed an hour earlier). Deemed a Good Thing by our government masters, like a lot of things from around the same time such as passports, pub closing hours, OS act, gun control.....
    And there's me thinking it was done just to annoy the jock farmers, why they don't just get up an hour later instead of playing the victim yet again is anyones guess?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Well why didn’t they just get people to work an hour earlier then send them home an hour earlier?

Bloody silly. When the wise men who invented the 24 hour system worked out how to tell the time, they gave various times of day ethically and culturally neutral names like 9 o’clock or half past three. If they’d wanted everyone to do everything at the same time they’d have called times ‘special o’clock’ or ‘going to work o’clock’ or ‘half past going home’, a bit like Tom Baker in Little Britain.
    Mahlzeit, Feierabend.....

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    WWI invention to save coal (effectively getting people to bed an hour earlier). Deemed a Good Thing by our government masters, like a lot of things from around the same time such as passports, pub closing hours, OS act, gun control.....
    Well why didn’t they just get people to work an hour earlier then send them home an hour earlier?

Bloody silly. When the wise men who invented the 24 hour system worked out how to tell the time, they gave various times of day ethically and culturally neutral names like 9 o’clock or half past three. If they’d wanted everyone to do everything at the same time they’d have called times ‘special o’clock’ or ‘going to work o’clock’ or ‘half past going home’, a bit like Tom Baker in Little Britain.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Would someone remind me why we bother with all this clock changing twice a year?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Apparently Yorkshire had snow in June back in the 60's.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Would someone remind me why we bother with all this clock changing twice a year?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X