• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Falklands oil

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Falklands oil"

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I remember the documentary on the BBC about Endurance. The islanders said that one the ship was withdrawn; Argentina would invade. Saving a few pounds on a small ship end up a very costly mistake that should have been avoided.
    Thing is with the Endurance, it was just a floating helicopter pad. It's the message it sent to the Argies though, come on in boys.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    We went and built a great big whopping airfield after the last war. We have Typhoons permanently based down there, a Naval type 42 or type 23 always on station and the Island is positively brimming with Rapier. Topped off with a resident Infantry company being stationed out there as well.

It'd be a bit of a different story this time round, we'd have that place full to the gunnels as soon as they started sniffing round.
    I remember the documentary on the BBC about Endurance. The islanders said that one the ship was withdrawn; Argentina would invade. Saving a few pounds on a small ship end up a very costly mistake that should have been avoided.

Royal Navy Ice Patrol Ships - The Armed Forces Community

Subsequent to the May 1979 General Election a Defence Review was held in 1981, under the then Secretary of State for Defence John Nott, when it was decided that HMS Endurance was surplus to requirement and would be withdrawn from service in April 1982. One could be forgiven for thinking that John Nott considered the United Kingdom had no need for a navy after the Defence Review because of the intended draconian cuts – but – with the occupation of South Georgia in mid-March 1982 by Argentine civilians and the subsequent invasion of the Falkland Islands, the stupidity of the intended cuts were soon realised. With a detachment of Royal Marines embarked HMS Endurance was rapidly deployed to South Georgia where she landed her Royal Marines, while at the United Kingdom end of Operation ‘CORPORATE’ Aircraft Carriers, Assault Ships, Destroyers, Frigates and Ships Taken Up From Trade (STUFT) were loaded with men and materiel with the intention of re-capturing the Falkland Islands.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Good job we have those new aircraft carriers coming into service before decomissioning the existing ones, and that we still have those harriers in operation so we don't have operational carriers not capable of hosting aircraft.

The argies must be tulipting themselves. I can see no possibility of Falklands War II.
    We went and built a great big whopping airfield after the last war. We have Typhoons permanently based down there, a Naval type 42 or type 23 always on station and the Island is positively brimming with Rapier. Topped off with a resident Infantry company being stationed out there as well.

It'd be a bit of a different story this time round, we'd have that place full to the gunnels as soon as they started sniffing round.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Perhaps the yanks will lend a hand, they've always been our allies, haven't they?

War Plan Red - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Obama refers to the Falklands Islands as Malvinas Islands.

Obama Administration Backs Argentina Over U.K. On Falkland Dispute | Fox News

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I thought they'd failed to hit oil again and needed more cash according to the BB's.
    Oh no, they hit 350 million barrels, minimum.

They do need more cash though.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I thought they'd failed to hit oil again and needed more cash according to the BB's.
    I heard that rumour too. Possibly easy to diddle the numbers considering there is known oil there, the unknown is whether it's economically feasible to extract.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Interestingly, shares in RKH have dropped today. Folk must be upset about timelines...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I think we can safely assume another war. Maybe our NATO allies will help us the way that we have helped them in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.
    Perhaps the yanks will lend a hand, they've always been our allies, haven't they?

War Plan Red - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Interestingly, shares in RKH have dropped today. Folk must be upset about timelines...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Don't the officers call it a 'jolly'?
    Usually from the back of a landrover...

A trifle unfair that really considering the requirements for Officer training in the Marines.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Don't the officers call it a 'jolly'?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Para's "Tab", Marines "Yomp". Hth.
    Oops.

Yomp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most famous yomp of recent times was during the 1982 Falklands War. After disembarking from ships at San Carlos on East Falkland, on 21 May 1982, Royal Marines and members of the Parachute Regiment yomped (and tabbed) with their equipment across the islands, covering 56 miles (90 km)[2] in three days carrying 80 pounds (36 kg)[3] loads.

Bet they all have segways now.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I still think we should sell the Falklands and the oil fields to the Argies but only accept gold as payment.

The few thousand residents and sheep can be given a free island off the Scottish coast so they feel at home (i.e. desolate, windswept and cold).

Win win, they get the Malvinas and we get a lot of lovely gold to back our currency with.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The fact that oil is found on British territory will not make one iota of difference to the price at the petrol pumps nor will it reduce our taxes. The same oil companies will drill the oil out and make profits squalled off to the Cayman Islands whether it is Argentinean oil or British oil however if it comes to the military defending the oil companies then you and me will pay from our taxes; not the oil companies.
    I think we need AtW's considered opinion on this!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    The fact that oil is found on British territory will not make one iota of difference to the price at the petrol pumps nor will it reduce our taxes. The same oil companies will drill the oil out and make profits squalled off to the Cayman Islands whether it is Argentinean oil or British oil however if it comes to the military defending the oil companies then you and me will pay from our taxes; not the oil companies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X