• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Started a new gig last week and...."

Collapse

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Everyone knows when I have been for a poo............for the subsequent 30 minutes, a Canary in a cage is almost mandatory!!
    Jeez that must scrape the sides a bit..... I hope the door is closed

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    indeed. When I was contracting, those were the two indicators of whether the contract was going to be a duff'n.
    Absolutely. Great bogs, good tea and coffee, and a well-stocked and open stationary cupboard are strong indicators the contract will be a good one.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    More pointless political correctness, I guess. Bathroom, washroom, restroom..... C'mon, everyone knows you're going for a wee or a poo.
    Everyone knows when I have been for a poo............for the subsequent 30 minutes, a Canary in a cage is almost mandatory!!

Leave a comment:

• Numpty
    replied
    Originally posted by Lightship
    Peeing in the shower? Okay.

But what if you need a poo?
    I use a toilet / WC / Mr Crapper's wondrous invention, not the bath.

I do not understand the point of referring to a room by a fitting it does not contain.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    One place (not in the UK) had iron water pipes in the building. It was the job of whoever got in first in the morning to run the water off until it didn't look rusty.
    Long ago I worked at the DofEnergy on Millbank (its moved and Gawd knows what its called now).

The water came from an "Artesian Well" ie theoretically it came out of some ancient resevoir where it had been filtered for eons and all that Tulip (like posh and expensive "Mineral" Waters).

The common thought was that it came directly from a sewage outlet into the Thames.... It started of brown and a little lumpy.... let the taps run and it got thicker and lumpier....
    We used to filter it using "Brita" and it was left with just a rough yellowish colour....
    Once boiled the coffee/tea tasted like pish... and the mugs if left standing grew an impermiable brownish-yellow "shell" - you could literally chip it off at the end of the week.

Being a group of blokes we obviously only rinsed out our mugs once every fortnight or so and continued to drink endless gallons of the Tulip.......

(In our defence - this was long before the Starbucks/Costas existed on every street corner.)

Leave a comment:

• Numpty
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I was once offered a cup of coffee in France & the guy chucked in a spoonful of nescafe and then proceeded to fill up the cup from the hot water tap in the bathroom.
    I have never worked anywhere so posh it had a bathroom.

Some have had showers the staff could use.

Was it a football club? They have baths for the players, don't they? Or was it a brothel?

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    I was once offered a cup of coffee in France & the guy chucked in a spoonful of nescafe and then proceeded to fill up the cup from the hot water tap in the bathroom. Don't quite know why but that is just SO wrong.
    Bit unusual for France, I used to work there and even the coffee machines served real coffee.

I had to slow down on the expresso drinking as all the cafeine was making me a bit hyper.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I was once offered a cup of coffee in France & the guy chucked in a spoonful of nescafe and then proceeded to fill up the cup from the hot water tap in the bathroom. Don't quite know why but that is just SO wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Same as my gig, except they don't have a vending machine. The first cup of tea there in the morning tastes like ditch water as the water has been left in the encrusted old kettle all night. (The first thing I do now in the morning is refill it with fresh water.)
    One place (not in the UK) had iron water pipes in the building. It was the job of whoever got in first in the morning to run the water off until it didn't look rusty.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    The first cup of tea there in the morning tastes like ditch water as the water has been left in the encrusted old kettle all night. (The first thing I do now in the morning is refill it with fresh water.)

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Apparantly you get really crusty coffee if someone chooses to have soup before you, not that it has happened to me yet.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Same as my gig, except they don't have a vending machine. The first cup of tea there in the morning tastes like ditch water as the water has been left in the encrusted old kettle all night. (The first thing I do now in the morning is refill it with fresh water.)
    That's the first thing I do EVERYTIME I make a cup of coffee - unless its just boiled of course

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    ...the bogs are a seventies throwback and the coffee from the vending machine, although cheap at 15p, is absolute crap.

People are friendly though.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    ...the bogs are a seventies throwback and the coffee from the vending machine, although cheap at 15p, is absolute crap.
    People are friendly though.

indeed. When I was contracting, those were the two indicators of whether the contract was going to be a duff'n.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I hate instant coffee - wont drink the stuff, so as long as there is access to a kettle, I take in my own cafetiere and coffee and am a happy piggy. I drink it, strong and black with no sugar, so no need for milk and such.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X