• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Labour Pledges

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Labour Pledges"

Collapse

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Correction

If the Lib Dems say it long enough either Labour or the Tories will think it's a good idea an suddenly start acting like it's their policy.

Oh and one of the reasons the Tories don't have any policies is because Labour nick them.
    The Lib Dems never say anything original they just copy the Tories and Labour...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    *I know Vince Cable has been saying it for years, but he's a Lib Dem and they can say what they like because they know they'll never get voted into government anyway.
    Correction

If the Lib Dems say it long enough either Labour or the Tories will think it's a good idea an suddenly start acting like it's their policy.

Oh and one of the reasons the Tories don't have any policies is because Labour nick them.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Labour have been blindly implementing policies for years without looking at the cause and effect of doing so.

Their ignorance of the fiscal decline and their refusal to face up to the detrimental effects of economic policies is what has led us to where we are now.
    This is true.

For nearly ten years we, and the government, have been borrowing to live. We called it the good times, the government called it prudence. How f***ing daft is that, eh?

Of all people, George bleeding Osborne* was the first senior person in either major party to stand up, own up, and say we are in the sh*t and we'll have to take tough measures to get out of it (autumn 2009 party conference).

*I know Vince Cable has been saying it for years, but he's a Lib Dem and they can say what they like because they know they'll never get voted into government anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I do wonder what they've done with their previous 3 terms in power, if they're only starting to realise these 'pledges' now.
    Isn't that the main issue? Why should I believe a word they say when they have farked this country royally over the last 13 years?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Yes, all the main parties are avoiding the issue. It’s going to have to happen anyway.

The issue of ‘relative’ decline is something else. As things are at the moment, the UK and other western countries are not facing a relative decline but an absolute one. It won’t be that the third world living standards will grow faster that those here, but living standards will fall substantially here.

It doesn’t have to be like this, but the current political class lacks the wit to comprehend the nature of the problem or to conceptualise any possible response.
    Labour have been blindly implementing policies for years without looking at the cause and effect of doing so.

Their ignorance of the fiscal decline and their refusal to face up to the detrimental effects of economic policies is what has led us to where we are now.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Yes, all the main parties are avoiding the issue. It’s going to have to happen anyway.

The issue of ‘relative’ decline is something else. As things are at the moment, the UK and other western countries are not facing a relative decline but an absolute one. It won’t be that the third world living standards will grow faster that those here, but living standards will fall substantially here.

It doesn’t have to be like this, but the current political class lacks the wit to comprehend the nature of the problem or to conceptualise any possible response.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

.. What nobody is talking about is where the cuts are going be on the biggest component of public spending: social security and pensions. Shrill cries of 'take away their benefit and they will soon find work' isn't going to solve the problem. If it did, it would have eliminated the problem long ago. In any case there is something like 20 times the number of notified vacancies looking for work. It is inevitable that the level of benefits will be cut across the board. Not only in real terms by not upgrading them in line with inflation, but actual cuts. I wonder if any party would be willing to admit before an election that their is going to be benefit cuts.

And then there is the inevitable case of cuts in pensions ......
    Much as I hate Labour, I sometimes wonder if this wouldn't be prety much inevitable whoever had been in power.

Perhaps even the great Billy Pitt Jr with a cabinet of fellow geniuses wouldn't have made much difference in holding back the tide of relative decline, and in a perverse way maybe Labour's profligacy has actually postponed the day of reckoning (even if they have probably also made it worse).

As I've often droned on about here, the "big picture" by and large seems to be about westerners and those in "rich" countries getting much worse off, and Thirld World people becoming infinitesimally better off (but, due to their vast and increasing numbers, not so they'd notice much if at all).

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I do wonder what they've done with their previous 3 terms in power, if they're only starting to realise these 'pledges' now.

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    A rising standard of living will be the stuff of legend for the majority of those in the UK. All the main parties know this, but remain silent on the issue.

Today in the Telegraph they have a story of secret plans to cut NHS services.

What nobody is talking about is where the cuts are going be on the biggest component of public spending: social security and pensions. Shrill cries of 'take away their benefit and they will soon find work' isn't going to solve the problem. If it did, it would have eliminated the problem long ago. In any case there is something like 20 times the number of notified vacancies looking for work. It is inevitable that the level of benefits will be cut across the board. Not only in real terms by not upgrading them in line with inflation, but actual cuts. I wonder if any party would be willing to admit before an election that their is going to be benefit cuts.

Actually saw Gord on BBC new where he was saying that he was going to restore the link between pensions and earnings. I was thinking really, where will he find all the money from.

Then I remembered like many, my pay rate is likely to go DOWN in the short term at least.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    "Raise family living standards"

e.g. by freezing personal allowances so that lower paid people pay even more in tax as a proportion of their income than they did before the budget.

Great!
    A rising standard of living will be the stuff of legend for the majority of those in the UK. All the main parties know this, but remain silent on the issue.

Today in the Telegraph they have a story of secret plans to cut NHS services.

What nobody is talking about is where the cuts are going be on the biggest component of public spending: social security and pensions. Shrill cries of 'take away their benefit and they will soon find work' isn't going to solve the problem. If it did, it would have eliminated the problem long ago. In any case there is something like 20 times the number of notified vacancies looking for work. It is inevitable that the level of benefits will be cut across the board. Not only in real terms by not upgrading them in line with inflation, but actual cuts. I wonder if any party would be willing to admit before an election that their is going to be benefit cuts.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Empty promises only to be fulfilled by a continuation of the degredation of the economy and living standards that we have become accustomed to under a labour government.

Deep joy!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

e.g. by freezing personal allowances so that lower paid people pay even more in tax as a proportion of their income than they did before the budget.

Great!
    It's OK if you have children they will give you even more tax credits.

You are a bit f**k though when they become 18 as you will be paying for them and you aren't entitled to any help.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

Great!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Labour has announced their election pledges.

One of them is to build high tech economy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/g...on-pledge-card

At the Labour Party's 1963 annual conference, Wilson made possibly his best-remembered speech, on the implications of scientific and technological change,[6] in which he argued that "the Britain that is going to be forged in the white heat of this revolution will be no place for restrictive practices or for outdated measures on either side of industry". This speech did much to set Wilson's reputation as a technocrat not tied to the prevailing class system.
    Those who can not remember the past...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    It gives you a sinking feeling doesn't it. You just know, deep down, that when the government makes this kind off pledge your industry is in line to be destroyed...

I was thinking about emigrating.

Now I think I will unless they get a teeny majority where they need a minority party to help them push things through, it's a hung parliament or they loose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X