• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why people are skeptical about Global Warming"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
    George Carlin (RIP) said it way better than I ever could.
    Fair comment.

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    George Carlin (RIP) said it way better than I ever could.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    We've had the technical ability to remote work for over 20 years. I was working at BT during the time they were trying to sell the concept of remote working to their customers whilst not enabling it for their own staff.
    Indeed.

15 or 16 years ago I worked for BT Managed Network Services in Apsley, Hertfordshire; the other half of BT MNS worked at Euston. All day, every day, people shuttled back and forth up that railway line to attend meetings at the other site because we were not allowed to use the bleeding-edge teleconferencing suites installed at each office. Instead they were used only once per month by senior management and were kept locked the rest of the time.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by larson View Post
    Infrastructure has been built around the car. Hopefully remote working, with better voice and video implementations will mean more branch offices with smaller presence. Large cities are significantly more costly to operate when compared to small towns.
    We've had the technical ability to remote work for over 20 years. I was working at BT during the time they were trying to sell the concept of remote working to their customers whilst not enabling it for their own staff. Until companies get taxed for forcing bums on seats when it's not neccessary, they'll still force us to come in.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    another possibility would be to call it:

no change at all
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 March 2010, 14:01.

Leave a comment:

• larson
    replied
    Isn't it better to call it "severely accelerated climate change," rather than just "global warming"?

I think human development has accelerated the change in climate, going forwards - in normal change evolutionary aspects allow species to adapt. Accelerated change thwarts the adaption process, which is one of the major issues.

Infrastructure has been built around the car. Hopefully remote working, with better voice and video implementations will mean more branch offices with smaller presence. Large cities are significantly more costly to operate when compared to small towns.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Trouble is, people who don't breed get removed from the gene pool, leaving more breeders.
    I understand that this global warming thing is supposed to be happening at a very fast rate, I'm guessing here, but this is quite possibly much faster than the procreation rates of humans could be increased by natural selection to fill the gap.

(Although I've met more than one project manager that thinks 9 women can make a baby in one month, so I might be missing something.)

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I have the simplest most obvious cure to this problem, and my cure is guaranteed to work, yet no environ-politicians I've seen, or heard, actually talks about it in anything like the terms they use for SUVs, burning coal etc.

The cure is straight forward and extremely easy to implement: it is for all these environmentalists/politicians to not breed. Possibly even top themselves.

My plan will save so much more carbon footprint than making some of the more expensive cars more expensive to people who already have so much money that they don't really notice.

Now it is obvious even to the gurus of the world that my cure would work, is extremely easy to implement, and costs nothing, and because all I see is these fake environmentalists talking about raising taxes, I know they don't really care about the environment at all, but are all about the politics of envy.

HTH

Trouble is, people who don't breed get removed from the gene pool, leaving more breeders.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Global warming is a side issue, a symptom of a greater disease. The problem is population and the increase in standards of living picking up pace worldwide. Mix exponential growth with finite resources and you have an unavoidable and spectacular end. And everything looks fine until just before things goes bang. At some stage, probably not far off, zero or negative growth is a mathematical certainty if we don't have a spectacular collapse before hand.
    I have the simplest most obvious cure to this problem, and my cure is guaranteed to work, yet no environ-politicians I've seen, or heard, actually talks about it in anything like the terms they use for SUVs, burning coal etc.

The cure is straight forward and extremely easy to implement: it is for all these environmentalists/politicians to not breed. Possibly even top themselves.

My plan will save so much more carbon footprint than making some of the more expensive cars more expensive to people who already have so much money that they don't really notice.

Now it is obvious even to the gurus of the world that my cure would work, is extremely easy to implement, and costs nothing, and because all I see is these fake environmentalists talking about raising taxes, I know they don't really care about the environment at all, but are all about the politics of envy.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    The problem is population and the increase in standards of living picking up pace worldwide. Mix exponential growth with finite resources and you have an unavoidable and spectacular end.
    Nail, head, hit...

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Scare tactics get my back up also.
    The problem for me is, I agree with more recycling, cutting energy and fuel use, etc etc. These are all worthy goals worth pursuing on their own. I don't need to be scared by threats of the burny fire.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Scare tactics get my back up also.

The other line, taken by a couple here is, 'Even if we are wrong, we will end up doing the right thing, for the wrong reasons'

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think most skepticism arise from the politicalisation of the issues.
    For me, that's true. Also the false logic of "if we're right and we could have done something about it.. therefore we must" scare tactic argument.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    nice quote from Bill Clinton
    Elsewhere in his remarks, he noted he was speaking on the night before the start of spring, “otherwise known to Al Gore as proof of global warming.”
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/0...and-the-press/

kind of sums up the Global warming argument really.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    It's all down to cows producing methane. I don't care if this contributes to global warming as I like my meat too much. End of discussion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X