• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Serviced Offices

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Serviced Offices"

Collapse

• roseyw
    replied
    I have used w ww.dryland.com. They offer short term serviced offices spaces. I needed to use them for hiring people for my internet company and it worked a charm
    Last edited by cojak; 27 July 2012, 10:26. Reason: removed url

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    Tried the bright orange easyOffice? There is one beside the place I'm working in glasgow and I think they charge £45 a week. Not sure what they are like though, ymmv.

You might want to look into a shared office space too.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    However, I just can't make this work. The rent on the office I liked was GBP1,400+VAT and there is additional costs. I estimate that to have the separate office in the City is going to cost me roughly 2K pm. If I were a UK company and all that entails then I might be tempted.
    Ah, I'd found a couple of spots more like the GBP 250 pcm mark (plus my own internet/phone/building service costs etc). I should have struck while the iron was hot. Due to the influx of much quickness in these parts, rents have gone up considerably.

I've had a chat with some people and their thoughts roughly agree that it is a mad idea. I'm better off putting more money and effort solving my other problems so I can leave the country.
    In your position I agree. Having gone through the building noise thing myself I cannot emphasise enough how bad for your health and general well being it can be.
    Last edited by Sysman; 22 March 2010, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    There must be loads of offices who have downsized staff and have phone system, internet, desks but no bums on seats.

I work in one right now, at least 12 empty seats with phones. You could have a room to yourself. We're in the provinces though, so no good for you.

Get a list of smaller techie/manufacturing/software/accountancy firms and ring around ?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    The rent on the office I liked was GBP1,400+VAT and there is additional costs. I estimate that to have the separate office in the City is going to cost me roughly 2K pm. If I were a UK company and all that entails then I might be tempted.
    Wow at that price the recession must be over!

Can't you rent a 1 bed flat for less than that or a studio flat (sorry they are called apartments nowadays)?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I had a problem with building noise half a dozen years ago and I still regret not getting a separate office for the duration (18 months). Go for it.
    They've been at it with the saw for over 1/2 hr so far this morning. There is a JCB thingy braking up tarmac and another loading in a lorry. There is also two flat beds right outside my office window with their engines ticking over waiting to go into the site. Just as I type this the bastard with the squeaky wheel barrow is on this side of the site today.

I would love to be on the phone right now saying I'll see you in 20 mins with a cheque for the first three months rent.

However, I just can't make this work. The rent on the office I liked was GBP1,400+VAT and there is additional costs. I estimate that to have the separate office in the City is going to cost me roughly 2K pm. If I were a UK company and all that entails then I might be tempted.

I've had a chat with some people and their thoughts roughly agree that it is a mad idea. I'm better off putting more money and effort solving my other problems so I can leave the country.

In any case, if anyone else is thinking of getting an office I can tell them what I found out.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I'm off to look at some in the City this morning.

As those that read my tw@ts know, the builders working on the school nextdoor are doing my head in.

Who else on CUK knows anything about getting a small office; the serviced type, not longer term or home office?
    I had a problem with building noise half a dozen years ago and I still regret not getting a separate office for the duration (18 months). Go for it.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    There's usually a spare desk in the Public Library. And these days they provide free electricity for laptops too.

And the library is used during the week by smelly old men with weak sphincter muscles, so you wouldn't even need to bathe.

Actually, that is a semi-serious suggestion. My wife has discovered a few libraries in her travels this past few years where people are conducting business in areas or rooms set aside for less quiet working.
    To borrow words from a song, "I do declare there were time so lonesome I took some comfort there".

In the past, I use a couple of libraries for their printers. The Ideas store in Whitechapel has a nice HP colour one (or it did, I've not been down there for a while). I use the Barbican Library too.

And yes, the Whitechapel library does get a bit wiffy.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    There's usually a spare desk in the Public Library. And these days they provide free electricity for laptops too.

And the library is used during the week by smelly old men with weak sphincter muscles, so you wouldn't even need to bathe.

Actually, that is a semi-serious suggestion. My wife has discovered a few libraries in her travels this past few years where people are conducting business in areas or rooms set aside for less quiet working.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I sent an email to some of the people that are mentoring me about getting serviced offices in the City because I'm having problems working from home. I have had a couple of replied and both have said that this is a very bad idea.

It's not what I originally wanted to do anyway; I'm going to have a re-think on this one.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    1) Their 'help' is bias in favour of selected ethnic groups; none of which I blong to.

2) Do you recall that case from a couple of weeks ago where Hector won a case against his non-residency claim because it was shown that he had 'attachments' to the UK? If I take an office it would blow my claim that I am only in the UK getting medical treatment and not working.
    If you are not working then you better be posting on twitter a bit ore then ;-)

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    how do you know they were racist?

BTW intrigued how taking up a serviced office will impact your residency?
    1) Their 'help' is bias in favour of selected ethnic groups; none of which I blong to.

2) Do you recall that case from a couple of weeks ago where Hector won a case against his non-residency claim because it was shown that he had 'attachments' to the UK? If I take an office it would blow my claim that I am only in the UK getting medical treatment and not working.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied

I briefly had dealings with them several years ago and I will never have anything to do with them again. They are a bunch of useless, biased, moronic, racist, fracking merde for brains, hoons.
    how do you know they were racist?

BTW intrigued how taking up a serviced office will impact your residency?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    Contact your local buas inevitable.siness link. A mate of mine has just done this - they waived rent & rates for an initial period, then there's a sliding scale up to the full payment over 12 months.
    I know you mean well, but ....

NO FRAKING WAY
    will I have anything to do with the East London Business Link.

I briefly had dealings with them several years ago and I will never have anything to do with them again. They are a bunch of useless, biased, moronic, racist, fracking merde for brains, hoons.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Contact your local buas inevitable.siness link. A mate of mine has just done this - they waived rent & rates for an initial period, then there's a sliding scale up to the full payment over 12 months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X