• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone been to Rome....?"

Collapse

• Phoenix
    replied
    Do they have coving in Rome?

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumner
    What else would the supports attach to.....?????

You don't need supports.......... the coving will

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I only go to Rome when I have a woman in tow for a trip to Sant Agata Bolognese.

Generally stay at the Sheraton Rome, AKA Parco de' Medici Golf Club.

I like it, girlies I've taken love it. There is a courtesy bus regular into the city centre and another goes around the airports (includes a couple of the small ones dotted about). Have in the past organised me a taxi for free when we missed the bus into town. They even once had a girl on the desk that could speak Danish, which is, well, customer service.

The rooms are actually like miniature terrace houses and very well looked after.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon
    I'm so hungry now that I could eat a scabby horse between two pissy mattresses.
    Have some Quorn, you won't notice the difference.

Good advice almost anywhere though: go where the locals go.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    >try this Riccioli for sushi and oysters anyway.

Well when in Rome, lets eat Japanese.

No, to be fair since you've recommended it I will try the place

When I come back I will try to remember anywhere worthwhile for other members. However, from what I remember try to look for places with Locals in. In my previous 3 visits this worked a treat and I didn't have a bad meal or was overcharged. One place inparticular stood out and that was Valentinos on Via Cavour (up from the Forum). Doesn't look inviting on the side of a busy road but the saltimboca was sublime as was the egg soup. Instead of desert I had the lasagne after I'd seen the family on the next table tucking into it.

I'm so hungry now that I could eat a scabby horse between two pissy mattresses.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    >they have some good restaurants around the Pantheon too

I can vouch for that - we stayed right on the Via Del Corso very near the Pantheon. The side streets were full of pretty good places, there was one with a huge upstairs area (and packed out with locals) and the food was superb - wish I could remember the name.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Give us a few names please as I haven't eaten around there previously.
    Can't remember the names as it was quite a long ago... try this Riccioli for sushi and oysters anyway. Just near the Gelateria straight from pantheon. On the left (there are 2 parallel roads) there should be those two restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Resturants

Give us a few names please as I haven't eaten around there previously.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    No haven't tried there, not a gay bar is it???
    Nahhh.... they have some good restaurants around the Pantheon too, I used to know a couple of the owners.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Riccioli caffe

No haven't tried there, not a gay bar is it???

By the way in my last post I think I gave the impression that The Pantheon was a must see, I actually meant myself, but only if you're a lady who's into a two night romance. The Pantheon's big but not that big

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Xena
    I've not been there either. But I have heard that when in Rome you should do as the Romans do.
    Don't think a long weekend will be enough to build one of the biggest empires the world has seen.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    If you see a short balding man standing and staring at the ruins for an inordinately long time or very drunk in a bar near the Pantheon ( another must see) then it will be me.
    Do you go to Riccioli caffe? Something interesting which probably hasn't changed. If you are up for all night entertainment there is a place nearby (can't remember the address but it's somewhere in Corso Vittorio Emanuele) called Insane. If you want to meet italian and foreign chavs and hope in a drunk fight that's the place to go. Until 5 am I remember. Do not mess with the bouncers, they can become quite nasty (but i guess that's the same all around the world).

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    So am I

First post, be gentle.

I'm going to Rome 26-28 Jan. On my own as can't do with the nagging woman as I'm trying to see all the archeological sites and museums and bars with all the gorgeous Italian women . I've been a few times before and the city is absolutely breathtaking. Agree with with Francko's comments, the Irish pub near the collosseum is the shamrock

The centro storico is packed with bars and restaurants. Have cappucino/wine/beer at the famous piazzas and eat round the corner for a lot less.

Got to see IMO

Collosseum, approach from the Domus Aurea and try not to clock it on the way in from the taxi.

Roman Forum, stand near the rostra and if your lucky you will see the ghosts of Ceasar, Cicero, Pompey, Antony and Augustus. Take your guide book so you can determine the sites of the temples/basalicas.

St Peters, awesome, approach from pont st angelo.

Vatican, get there an hour before opening and 'race' down to the sistine chapel before the crowds get there following the signs. Again take the guide book so you know what you're looking at and why it's there.

The best view in Rome is from the aventine at the side of Chiesa di Bonifacio ed Alessio and the most surprising is from the keyhole at the end of via dia santa sabina on the same hill.

If you see a short balding man standing and staring at the ruins for an inordinately long time or very drunk in a bar near the Pantheon ( another must see) then it will be me.

Leave a comment:

• Bumner
    replied
    What else would the supports attach to.....?????

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumner
    ...steady.... still got to repair the coving from last night......!!!

OOpps! Yup sorry about that. Next time try not to hold onto the wall!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X