• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big rise in petrol/diesel prices on the way"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    In this country, all that extra revenue is creamed off and spent on .. well, who knows
    Hard working teachers and nurses and providing world-class public services.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    We are not really talking about true cost here, we are talking about price. In other advanced countries, you can fill up for one half or one third of the dosh, and the oil companies still make a killing.

In this country, all that extra revenue is creamed off and spent on .. well, who knows

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The cost of commuting is going through the roof. I have been thinking about changing cars to some kind of hybrid, but I have no idea what type/what the cost is.

Has anyone seen a site that does a comparison of mileage costs/travel/depreciation on hybrid versus normal cars?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    What you need is one of these:

http://www.teslamotors.com/

I can just see the envy on the faces of Islington Luvvies when you cut up their stupid G-Wizz at the lights.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Says the rep from HMRC.
    Thanks for your valuable input

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Look on the bright side.

Has anyone calculated how much the increase in price will reduce global warming?

There's no such thing as man-made global warming.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Look on the bright side.

Has anyone calculated how much the increase in price will reduce global warming?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Why would the oil companies invest in the British sector if they get windfall taxes slapped on the profits by Liarbour?
    Better than spending all the money on investment only to have the government cancel your visas and imprison your execs until you hand it over to the state.

TKN-BP for example.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Again, if anyone invested in them and then made a profit that Mr Brown deemed unreasonable, they’d have a windfall tax or some other retrospective tax levied on them. Much easier to extract coal in some turd world tuliphole where the government officials can be bribed in a reasonably affordable manner.
    Agree with that.

Its surprising to say that the Tories would probably be good for the coal industry! Which is hard to say having lived through the 80s.

I doubt any investment in coal mining or oil will occur for about another 5+ years as there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. But China has / is planning to shut down alot of its smaller coal mines. This will raise the global price a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    Sounds good to me!!

We have lots of potential coal mines though. Depends on cost / return.
    Again, if anyone invested in them and then made a profit that Mr Brown deemed unreasonable, they’d have a windfall tax or some other retrospective tax levied on them. Much easier to extract coal in some turd world tuliphole where the government officials can be bribed in a reasonably affordable manner.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by kermitt View Post
    As for dwindling reserves in the North Sea thats a load of bull, there is enough there for at least 3 decades but will require increased investment from the oil majors.
    Why would the oil companies invest in the British sector if they get windfall taxes slapped on the profits by Liarbour?

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    We need to go back to reliance on Coal, at least we have lots of working coal mines and so do not have to be crippled by depleting reserves in North Sea.

Sounds good to me!!

We have lots of potential coal mines though. Depends on cost / return.

Leave a comment:

• kermitt
    replied
    Filled mine up this morning @£1.25 per litre for V Power at my local Shell (about £70 for a tank) which will be gone in a couple of days. The BP 100m along the road was similarly priced as you would expect. I don't have much choice in the matter as I have a two hour commute each way in the car and buses/trains are not practical as they take far longer and get me nowhere near where I actually need to be.

Our petrol/diesel prices are among the lowest in Europe until VAT etc are added which makes them of the most expensive!

As for dwindling reserves in the North Sea thats a load of bull, there is enough there for at least 3 decades but will require increased investment from the oil majors.

Apparently our fuel costs have increased some 40% since crap labour came to power in the 90's. Just wait for the budget report and then the Truckers will be out in force again (not that it will do much good anyway)

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    official stats

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Fuel at motorway services and out in the sticks can be seriously expensive.

At 1.20/l that's going to cost me 72 quid to fill my Mondeo! I think it's about time the government looked at the 40p a mile thing also!
    That's long overdue, but of course they wouldn't want to change that as it would mean less revenue

Leave a comment:

Working...
X