• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are BT any good to contract for."

Collapse

• Bumner
    replied
    should see their c.v. ......

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumner
    ....and that's my friends problem: Go-getta, very high profile positions but now sat surfing and reading non-descript, non-existing documentation.... don't can it.... go for the role.... what you going for? I'll make some enquries for you...

I like a high profile go getter

Leave a comment:

• Bumner
    replied
    Exactly.....

....and that's my friends problem: Go-getta, very high profile positions but now sat surfing and reading non-descript, non-existing documentation.... don't can it.... go for the role.... what you going for? I'll make some enquries for you...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Vetran has hit the nail on the head. BT is still mired in state owned mentality. Don't rock the boat, don't make a fuss, sit quietly in the corner and do as you're told (even if that means you mostly do nothing).

If you are the go-getting, dynamic, pro-active sort of person, you will hate every second of it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    no don't can it

Just look at it as an opportunity to 'hone your skills' as there won't be much work to do you can spend your time doing private work / development.

Just realise if you are used to getting things done you need to understand its the public sector mentality as far as progress is concerned.
    Last edited by vetran; 5 January 2006, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I have to say.... I know someone who's been there a short time and I shout out a "here here" to all the previous comments: Inept, demotivated, unprofessional etc etc.....
    From what I hear, it's not what you know or your capabilities it's how much testosterone you exude and what click you're in......
    do they still work there ? do you know where the building is - I have an interview next week - should I just can it ?

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    I have to say.... I know someone who's been there a short time and I shout out a "here here" to all the previous comments: Inept, demotivated, unprofessional etc etc.....
    From what I hear, it's not what you know or your capabilities it's how much testosterone you exude and what click you're in......

So Contractors required with Big Balls eh?

Leave a comment:

• Bumner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Is BT all that bad? I heard the money wasn't that bad although not a lot of work being done

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    so true.

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Getting anything done is virtually impossible. The permies don't want to know and either can't help or are so paralysed by bureaucracy everything takes forever. Most staff have been there for 20+ years and are only interested in when the next early retirement package comes along.

..... However, it is perfectly possible for a contractor to be there for 10 years if you just stay quiet and in the corner, and grap hold of some obscure interface no one else knows anything about.

Overall: easy work, sh1t rates, useless demotivated colleagues, ultimately frustrating.
    succinct summary, of course you may get offshored any time around April (or next budget deadline) so make sure you are ready for it.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Getting anything done is virtually impossible. The permies don't want to know and either can't help or are so paralysed by bureaucracy everything takes forever. Most staff have been there for 20+ years and are only interested in when the next early retirement package comes along.

In the end, I turned down a renewal as I couldn't stand it any more. However, it is perfectly possible for a contractor to be there for 10 years if you just stay quiet and in the corner, and grap hold of some obscure interface no one else knows anything about.

Overall: easy work, sh1t rates, useless demotivated colleagues, ultimately frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    BT = Bahindra Telecom = Goodness Gracious Me.

Pay is rock bottom, as is quality of staff, morale, projects, technology and prospects.

Stacking shelves at ASDA looks attractive in comparison.

You have been warned.
    All true, also, they are quite ruthless in terminating people. I saw numerous people walked out of the door - sometimes justified and often not.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I did some work at the office on High Holborn.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    the job I may go for is paying OK not $$$ but not !!@& - anyone working there at the moment - there can't be too many West End offices.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    BT = Bahindra Telecom = Goodness Gracious Me.

Pay is rock bottom, as is quality of staff, morale, projects, technology and prospects.

Stacking shelves at ASDA looks attractive in comparison.

You have been warned.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X